/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly 6 Week Live Series

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Daniel Dye, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye New Member

Hey all,

You probably all are paying attention to Freefly's Youtube channel, but in case you aren't, they are doing a six week live series on the Movi CR. Not sure what time of the day they shot that, but there's a possibility I was there at the time picking up my Movi. :cool:

Also, the Freefly guys made sure to emphasize submitting feature requests on the Beta page.

John Chu and Rorick Edge like this.
  2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

There’s a brief discussion about the app roadmap at 10:35.

3. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I really enjoyed asking questions directly to the source. Two important issues were answered for me:

The iPhone sometimes does not return to level:

1. Check to see if iPhone properly gripped in the clamp holder.
    2. Reset the Robot settings if needed and start over.
    3. Leave unit on a flat surface to give unit a chance to trim and correct itself.
    4. When Movi is asleep, look at the iOS app, the white arrows markers should align with center markers on the phone holder. One can actually slide move the markers on the phone app to match and align markings on the Movi for centering.

Best practices for Movi Sleep to conserve power on the iPhone:

1. Locking the Movi arm puts the unit to sleep, the app then shows the Movi is sleeping but I still need to lock the iPhone to conserve energy.
    2. I've been really impressed how well the app talks to the Movi when I wake the Movi up. It connects 100% of the time for me.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi John:
    Where are these "white arrow markers" to which you refer, please?

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

A photo is probably easiest. :)

Movi_Markers.jpg

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're right! Thanks!
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. I'm checking with the powers that be on this white line alignment. There is no way that an iPhone X with a Moment lens and counterweights can physically line up the white lines with the clamp marks....

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The white lines on the "Movi is sleeping" screen can be moved left and right by swiping on the screen. The purpose is purely to confirm that the phone is clamped squarely in the clamp by comparing the position of the white lines with respect to the two alignment marks on the upper and lower jaws of the clamp. It does not appear to cause any actual adjustment to internal parameters of the phone app.

See 20:06 of Week 1 of the Live Series on YouTube.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

John Chu likes this.
  9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The back-story is that these white lines were originally intended to allow you to re-mount the phone in the same place repeatedly, but, if you're using the counterweights, you push the end of the phone up to the counterweight assembly anyway, so that serves as the relocation point when you re-insert the phone into the clamp.

If you're just using a phone without Moment lenses and counterweights then, once you have the phone balanced, as John says above, put the Movi to sleep and slide the "Movi is sleeping" screen left or right to align with the align with the small alignment marks on the clamps.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

Daniel Dye and John Chu like this.
  10. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

I tried the alignment with my iPhone Xs (no case, no lens attachments) and it worked perfectly. Or at least as perfectly as I could do it by hand. It would be nice if the line on the Movi clamp were more obvious. Maybe a tiny bit of white paint.

Later: I did fill the two indents on the edges of the Movi clamp with white paint successfully, but it's a bit hazardous. I used white appliance touch-up paint, applied with a sharpened toothpick. I then quickly wiped across each indent with a sturdy bit of paper towel moistened with denatured alcohol. Try at your own risk.

#10 Stephen Hart, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019