FPV signal problems - camera replacement needed?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Eirik Nicolai Heim, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Hi,

Two days ago my RMRC-700xvn FPV camera vibrated out of the mounting bracket, or it got help from a movi m10 that lost power during a cold flight. Not entirely sure what happened. I still had video signal until I landed. Got home, brought the FPV camera to find replacement screws at the store and mounted it all back again. Luckily I have the OSD, but now I have no video signal. Tried a spare cable as well, but that did not help. The bracket was not hurt in anyway, guess that it could not been that much force when this happened. And 11 grams hanging will not hurt the cables I guess as well, and I can not see any damages. I wonder if I just need to replace the camera? I have tried about everything with the monitor and as I said I get the OSD through 5,8, and I guess I should have video signal as well then.

Any experiences?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Eirik more likely you have a loose connector on the cable end that connects into the camera. They are pretty fragile. Before changing the camera do you have another cable that you can do a direct connection to your transmitter to do a test?

3. Eirik Nicolai Heim

I have a spare cable that is the one that you use for that specific camera, between the alta and into the camera. Is that the one you are talking about? It is the cable that connects to the camera

4. Eirik Nicolai Heim

No I do not have the OSD as well

5. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Seems like there could be some damage from the cable that leaves the transmitter. One screw is stuck on the side plate and it is not possible to get in. Have to drill it away or something. The umbraco does not work. Lucky me today.

6. Humberto Barchini

The screws that you find to replace the old ones... are they the same length?

7. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Ok. I finally got to a friend of mine at the place I'm currently staying that got some tools. We drilled away the screw head and got into where the socket from the alta and the cable to fpv transmitter is plugged in. He is also an electrician. As you can see in the picture, there was a small injury on the yellow cable, that later on has black protection on the way out to the transmitter. But from what we could check, it was only the black protection that was injured and the cable itself seemed complete. Could not se any damage else and we also tried to pull in the different cables while the alta and fpv monitor had power. We had the OSD all the time, but there was nothing happening with the video signal at all.

What I have checked this far:
    Mounted the camera back with new screws. Did not have the old ones, so had to buy new ones, but used quite short ones. Is it possible that I have damaged the camera myself buy using to long ones? Should it not stop by itself when putting the screws back again? I did not use force at all.
    Tried two different cables between the socket that goes from the alta and into the FPV camera with no different results. Used the original and a new one from my Alta Spare kit.

I have now ordered a new camera straight from the dealer and it will be an express delivery. I want to route out that option before sending the alta someplace.

I spoke a bit with my electrician friend and he could not imagine that the litle weight of the camera, 36 grams, could somehow damage the internals on the Alta when the camera was hanging loose for a minute during my flight. And I have never done some kind of pulling my self on the cables as I know. It also seemed kind of strange that there would be some pulling on the internal stuff when researching the cables. The cables from the inside are quite firmly placed and does not move that much, and also there is a socket and cables between both the FPV camera and the transmitter. I will be quite disappointed if the cables on the inside get injured that easily.

Hope it is the camera and that it got some beating when it was loose or something or it is the screws that are too long. It did send video when it was hanging loose on the last flight.

Attached Files:

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Those screws holding the access panels in can be surprisingly hard to undo. One technique that I have used is to get a soldering iron, plug it in and let it come up to temperature, wipe the tip really clean on a paper towel (being careful not to burn yourself), and then apply the tip of the soldering iron firmly to the screw head you want to undo for about 15 seconds.

Then attempt to unscrew it using the FF-provided tools.

Sometimes it seems to work better if you seat the FF hex tool firmly in the screw head, and then give the screw a sharp counterclockwise twist, rather than gradually exerting more and more force -- this gradual approach appears to increase the risk that the hex tool just trashes the screw head.

Eirik: Is it possible that it ground handling the ALTA you somehow mechanically snagged to camera's video cable and inadvertently yanked on it. Not that *I* have ever done that, of course. :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Eirik Nicolai Heim

Got the new camera today with the original screws. Seems they are shorter than the ones I used. I first changed just the camera, did not work. Then changes the camera and the switched to a new cable as well. Then it worked. Seems like the cable was damaged or bad connectors, and I think I in fact destroyed the camera by my self. Shit happens.

Just glad everything works without sending it in :)

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting the update -- not that I have ever broken/burned or otherwise trashed any electronics. Well, not yet today. :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert