/dist/images/branding/favicon

Forum glitches -- post for Forum Admin

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Graham Futerfas, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Not sure where to post this topic or if we have a Forum Admin around...

First, all of my Watch Forum emails that I was receiving stopped. I found it's because Google thought they were Spam all of a sudden and threw them in my Junk Folder. This has been probably the last two weeks or so. I fixed this on my end by adding the email address to my contacts and clicking the 'Teach Google this email is important' button. I'm not sure if this is just Forum emails or all @freeflysystems.com emails (there's another thread about people not hearing back from Support that's making me wonder if it's a bigger email problem).

Second, I can't upload photos. They're not that big, and as a test I've tried to upload photos that have easily uploaded here in the past, but it says the uploaded file is too large. I've exported smaller versions of the photos, and they still won't upload ('There's a problem uploading your file). The original photos are about 2.5MB and the smaller compressed versions are under 200KB.

Anyone else having problems uploading photos?

OK, hopefully one of our technically minded Forum Admins can check this. Thanks!!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Graham:
    The email problem sounds like it's with Google so I'm not quite sure what we can do with the forum email messages to prevent Google from "recognizing" them as spam. Do you get any hint as to what's going on from the rejection message in the "spam" email?

As to upload files, the limitations are done by file types. Right now the limits are:

1. Max file size is 4096 kilobytes.
    2. File type must be one of these:
    zip
    txt
    pdf
    png
    jpg
    jpeg
    jpe
    gif
    gpx
    cfg
    mkp
    spm
    csv​

What file type are you trying to upload?
    Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Andy, I'm not sure what can be done about the Spam thing, but I'm reporting it because maybe it can help others. The message from Gmail about it is: Why is this message in Spam? It's similar to messages that were detected by our spam filters.

I can click on 'Learn More', but it's not helpful. I've seen email Headers from other people that can cause messages to go to Junk, but not sure that this is the case here.

Both Forum alerts and Support emails come from an @freeflysystems.com email address. If people aren't hearing back from Support, as I read on another thread, maybe this is the cause, or least they should look into their Spam folders to see if the emails were misplaced there.

As for the photos... they're .jpg's, mostly smaller than 2.4MB (2400 kb), mostly taken with my iPhone. What's more, I've uploaded tons of photos to this forum over the last few years, and I tried to upload photos that I've uploaded previously, and it won't allow it. I also used Photos (on my Mac) to export a 'Medium' file that's under 200 kilobytes, and that won't upload either.

Anyway, thought I'd bring up these little glitches and see if anyone else is having the same troubles.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Graham:
    Certainly people should check their spam folders -- depending on which email client/internet service provider one uses the degree to which the spam software is aggressively tagging spam varies wildly. We run our own email servers and use a product called spamassassin and sometimes I think it's the phase of the moon that cause spamassassin to tag something as spam (actually I know it uses Bayesian probabilistic filters that are initially trained and subsequently self-trained to recognize spam -- but there are just some messages that trigger it to go bonkers).

You can, of course, set up a so-called "whitelist" for specific email addresses so that you can avoid them being tagged as spam. See https://www.labnol.org/internet/gmail-whitelist/19754/

As to the images, what reason do you see for the rejection? (I have another browser window open as I type and I can see the limitations: 4096KB, no more than 10 attachments per message, and the "approved" file extensions.

It sound like you may be falling foul of some other issue. Could you email me one of your images (ajohnsonlaird AT me dot com) and I'll see if I can upload it. Could be that the forum software needs to be "reasoned with" (using a two by four with electrodes attached). :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're right, Graham.
    I cannot upload your images -- but I cannot upload any of mine either!

Leave it with me....now, where did I put that two by four.....

Andy

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Graham Futerfas