/dist/images/branding/favicon

Follow Focus

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ben Hughes, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

What seems the be the best follow focus for MōVI. I've been looking at the heden carat, also the bartech and the hocus Focus Axis 1. They are all around the same price, but are all one channel, so just focus no iris. Any thoughts to the best system out of all of the above? They are all good products..

2. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

I would really recommend the Heden. It´s absolutely high quality, great range, totally lag-free and the knob feels like an Arri WCU-4.

I will write a more comprehensive review with pics and specs this weekend in a new thread.

Best ,

Wolf

3. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

That's really great help thanks Wolf. Would love to read that.
    Ben

4. Mike King

Mike King Member

I was looking at the Heden also, it looks really good - however it is only one channel. On the recommendation of a friend I've ordered the RT Motion 3.1 system. It's expandable to three motors and is the smallest and lightest (they say) out there. I'm still waiting on it however. I think the lag time is just over a month - but then I still haven't received the FF Micro I ordered months ago.
    rtmotion.com

5. Sam Donaghy Bell

My RT motion 3.1 will be arriving in days. Will keep you posted!

6. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Yes please do, I'd be really interested to hear about the RT motion, I think the Heden is a really good option because the motors are smaller than the RT Motion, but it let down in that its only one channel. The transmitter (handheld unit) of the RT Motion looks really nice. Has anyone actually got their hands on one yet? Thanks!

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

The RT Motion unit is very nice, the motors perform well, the calibration is easy, the receiver is nice and small, and the focus knob .. is very smooth, with good range. I like it, but it is the only wireless follow focus I have used, so my POV may be off the mark.

8. Ben Huddleston

I just came off a month-long shoot where we used the RTmotion with motors on the focus and iris. It performed superbly with zero issues. Just as good as the Arri and Preston, in my experience.

9. Wolf Schiebel

The only thing i don't like at the Rt are the motors, because they are not compatible to any other system. With the Heden or the RR micro you can change the motors to any type like preston, C-motion and even Arri (with adapter), if there are problems. Otherwise it would have been my other choice....

Best Wolf

10. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

RT motion are in the process of getting other motors like the Preston to work with it. How long it will take I don't know.

11. Wolf Schiebel

Hhhmm... but this is strange, because the motors are quite unique, since all the driver electronics is built in, that's why the plugs have only 4 pins. All the others have the electronic in the tx/mcu, and Rt motion's tx has no driver built in, that's why it is so light with 3 channels. Heden Carat tx is also just 120gr., but one channel + cam remote and Fujinon Cabrio zoom serial (3 channel).

But we'll see, maybe they built a kind of external driver-box to be plugged between the tx and the motors...

Best,

Wolf

12. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

Axis1. Best single channel out there.

ss kiran reddy likes this.
  13. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Its such a shame the heden carat is only one channel, I didn't know that the rtmotion wasn't able to be used with other motors, thats a bit of a downfall. But if it works great like Ben Huddleston said then, it doesnt need to be cross compatible.
    Ben, how easily did the rtmotion mount on the movie, have you any pics of your rig? I'm leaning to the rtmotion just because its got the 2 channel focus and iris, otherwise I would be going axis 1. The bar tech is 2 channel though with the upgrade...

14. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

My RT motion fitted to the Movi without any hassle what so ever. Look at the RT motion website and you will see that soon the system will be compatible with other motors. How, I have no idea but give Kris a call at RT and I am sure he will put you in the Rembrandt. The service and support I have received from Kris and his team has been excellent.

15. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

I've tried getting in contact a lot with them but no one ever replies!

16. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

I talked with a rental place that said their RT motion system was driving other motors, or maybe they were referring to the future. They said it would work with the Fujinon Cabrio motors too, which would be amazing.