/dist/images/branding/favicon

Follow focus wheel not working

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Will Eccleston, May 31, 2018.

1. Will Eccleston

Will Eccleston New Member

Hi folks, I have a Movi Pro from LensRentals. Trying to get the physical follow focus wheel to control my lens motor. When I calibrate the FIZ on Mimic, it runs the focus motor from stop to stop as expected, but the physical focus wheel never controls the motor. I have tried it plugged into the COM1 and COM2 ports. Any help appreciated.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

What is plugged in to COM 1 and 2? Bush Pilot on the Mimic? Bush Pilot should be COM 2, but look at the rubber cover to confirm you're in the right port -- they're backwards if you're looking down at the Mimic.

Usually the motor is plugged in to one of the FIZ ports. Which motor are you using?

Am I correct to assume this is using Bush Pilot on the Mimic, and not Pilot?

Finally, which Firmware is running? You'd need to connect your phone\Freefly Movi Pro app to the Movi Pro and the Mimic separately and go under About to make sure they're all on the same Firmware series. If the Mimic is running an older firmware, it may not be compatible, and also some lens motors were added to later firmware versions.

3. Graham Futerfas

4. Will Eccleston

Will Eccleston New Member

Thanks for the response. I'm a little further along. Not sure I ever had the Bush Pilot in "COM2" when I also had good radio connection. So, I now have control with the Bush Pilot, but setting the range is proving impossible. I've tried Auto and Manual. Probably the answer lies in Manual, but I can't figure it out. It's a Sigma 17-50 2.8, which has a very short focus throw. Details you requested:

Bush Pilot plugged into Mimic
    Mimic 1.4.1
    Movi Pro, 1.4.3
    Redrock Micro Torque Lens Control Motor, plugged into "F" port.

Thanks again for any help!

5. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

For anyone following this thread, the solution was:

The Bush Pilot knob just needs to be calibrated. Every time you disconnect and reconnect the Bush Pilot to the MIMIC (COM 2), you have to calibrate the knob, to set its physical limits.

You’ll either find this menu under the FIZ Cal screen, or the Input Setup screen (depending on the firmware version of the MIMIC). It’s the later, for v1.4.x or later.

Choose "Knob Cal." Follow the on screen prompts to cal the Bush Pilot knob. If you have it installed on the right side of the MIMIC, clockwise is away from you, and counter-clockwise is toward you.​

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Graham Futerfas

Thanks for following up, Bryan!