/dist/images/branding/favicon

Folding props on a Cinestar

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi this question has probably gone through some of you mind at some point recently
    its about the DJI Evo 800 folding props is this a good idea, is there a performance compromise in flight vs a normal rigid prop.

2. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

I would guestimate that extra weight come into play.
    But go by the saying that the more working parts something has the more can go wrong ... with the number of working bits that my CS8 already has, one more to add to the list is something I can do without. My props keep me in the sky, they need to be rock solid ... not too sure I can trust a prop that intentionally can come apart.
    Just my 2 cents.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I totally don’t understand why you’d want folding props on a multirotor. I understand the advantage for a flying wing or other airplane, where you may risk damaging the prop when you land. But why would you need them on a copter? I can’t imagine that there isn’t some penalty in terms of thrust, especially with the larger copters and payloads nowadays. And ditto Sebastian’s comments.

4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Steve I don't want folding props its just a curiosity question since DJI is using it in their designs

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Guys Im retaking the question of folding props to see if we can gather some true knowledge on the subject here are the current players
    KDE is manufacturing adapters for 2 and 3 blades
    DJI is continuing in the developing of folding props with its new 1552 V2 model
    Tiger Motor has come out with 15x4.5 Carbon Fiber foldable props
    so is anyone that is flying with foldable props can mention the pros and the cons
    thanks

6. Jose Luis Ocejo

If any one wants to know I found a lot of answers on another forum just look for DJI 1552 folding props

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Yes Andy thats the review I saw, very interesting what surprise me a little is Tiger Motor new folding prop been similar to the old DJI design that underperform hopefully TM will come out with a Folding CF V2 what I'm finding interesting are 3 blades i got them on my Discovery Pro and o boy it perform in gusty wind very well I have to do more tests to compare 2 blades to 3 blades Untitled.001.jpg

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

An FYI from flying full size aircraft. A 3 blade prop was less efficient than it's 2 blade counterpart. Looks great on an airplane, and small disc area. But at least on small single engine pistons a two blade prop typically had better climb. 3 blade was a bit quieter but that was subjective. And since it was an airplane prop when it came time for overhaul 2 was cheaper than 3.

Denis Gliksman likes this.