/dist/images/branding/favicon

Focus with EF lenses

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Paul Dufilho, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Paul Dufilho

Paul Dufilho New Member

Have any of you used the RCP to control the focus of EF lenses without external motors? If so, could you give details on the specific gear and set up used?

2. Matt Beardsley

yeah, I do that a lot. Setup-wise, you run a Red RCP cable from the camera CNTRL port to the corresponding port on the Movi Pro. The Red has to be set to allow RCP control (Menu > Settings > Setup > Communication > Serial > Ctrl Protocol > RED Command Protocol (RCP)) and the lens has to be set to AF to engage its motor (camera should be in MF)

Via MIMIC, it's as if a motor were on the lens in terms of control. You still need to calibrate and whatever input method you would use for motor control will work (Pilot Focus Module, MIMIC gesture, Playstation controller, etc.). We use that for drone use to keep weight down. Not all EF lenses are very smooth, some more than others. For some reason, I've found (for example) that my 24-105mm works really smoothly, but my 24-70 f2.8 is pretty clunky, probably just years of abuse :)

Iris works the same way, though on all the lenses I've tried, it steps through aperture settings, not a smooth exposure rack