/dist/images/branding/favicon

Focus by wire lenses

Discussion in 'WEDGE' started by Derek Cooper, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

With the introduction of the Zeiss Batis lenses, is it possible to configure the WEDGE to work with focus-by-wire lenses? i.e., there are no hard stops on the focus ring.

2. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Played with it for a bit - WEDGE doesn't appear to *directly* support focus by wire lenses. But you can *trick* the WEDGE to work.

The problem - when you setup a new lens i.e., a focus-by-wire lens, the setup process wants you to choose the infinity end of the focus ring and the minimum. Since neither exists, you can't set end points.

As a work around, I chose an existing lens in the Lens Library with hard stops, and got it to work that way. Not perfect, but since the Zeiss Batis lenses understand fast ring movements for dramatic changes, versus slow for very precise, you can *fast* your way to the focal range you want, then tweak with slow movements. This helps get beyond the hard stops on both the iris and focus control knobs on the Movi Controller. Works.

With the FS7, it's actually interesting cause you can use the LANC + - controls in FIZ Detail | Iris Detail window and control the iris remotely in addition to the geared ring on the lens. Nice.

Hopefully FF will implement a focus-by-wire calibration process in a future firmware release - I've mentioned it to their support team.

3. Harry Mustermann

Harry Mustermann New Member

That would be just great.