/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying the 4K Canon 1DC on a standard CS 8?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Chris Newman, May 8, 2013.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I was told by quadrocopter that the recommended payload of the CS8 is 4lbs.

The weight of the camera itself is 3.5lbs without lens. I will also need to get the $500 upgraded gimbal kit to accommodate bigger cameras.

My canon 16-35mm lens weights 1.5lbs. That would put me at 5lbs total payload.

Has anyone flown the 1DC before on the cs8? And any tips such as wooden props, or anything help out with the extra weight?

I could always use a smaller wide angle prime lens and try and stay under 4lbs.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Chris, I forgot but I believe your running a standard CS8 with MK electronics correct? Id recommend looking into upgrading to the HL when it becomes available. If you can't wait another 5 min... then maybe look into using the i2c converter and adding new motors, ESCs, longer booms and bigger props to carry the weight. Im not sure how long the MK ESCs would last with that much weight, my guess is not that long.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris I agree with Brad. Standard motors and MK stack with the MK PDB would be pretty stressed out. Add high altitude and hot days and you probably wouldn't have much success. And if you haven't actually weighed a camera, lens, battery you may find that the marketing specs are a bit optimistic.

4. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Thanks for your advice.

If I can keep the weight around 4lbs is that doable to you think? With a 20mm prime lens I should be close.

I would be flying it in Brazil next month. Not looking to upgrade it with the HL coming out! Any idea when it will be available?

Chris

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

No release dates yet. Depending on the altitude and temps you should be ok but watch the BL temps.

6. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I'm hoping to do the same. I've just weighed my 1DC and lens and it comes to 5.1 lbs. I am running C8, wookong, axi 2826/12 motors, 13x6.5 xoar beech props and 40amp funfly esc's, have upgraded side arms, down boom and to metal clamps where appropriate on the 360 gimbal. Any thoughts on if that set up can handle 5 lbs?
    Thanks
    Katya

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Katya have you run the combination through ecalc? www.ecalc.com. It will at least get you an answer that will be in the ballpark. Other than a test flight with a similar dumbbell weight not much way of knowing since there are so many combinations of motors props weights etc.

8. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Gary. That link just takes me to http://www.eeweb.com so not sure what to do with that page. Is there a more direct link to ecalc? Thanks
    Katya

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Sorry. Typo. www.ecalc.ch Click on the Multicopter column in your choice of language.

10. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Gary.
    Thanks for that and had a quick look and wondered if you could send me a screen grab of a filled out one as not sure of a couple of things.
    Kat

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

12. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks Gary. All checked in ecalc and looks ok and within capabilities although flight time for 6kg total weight on 2x6500 4s not looking that good unless in hover. Will give it a go with an equivalent weight over the weekend if the weather improves.
    Katya

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

What did you see for a hover throttle percentage? Target 50% Anything over 60% may not give ideal results or a safety margin. Actual testing is the best solution. Here's to better weather.

14. Chris Shaw

Chris Shaw New Member

These guys have flown both the 1DC and F55 with a follow focus setup on what looks like smaller Axi motors. Although not CS gear, I'm sure it probably can be done.

1DC

F55

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Not sure that they are small Axi's. Probably 6S with 15-16inch props. And yes the CS with proper motors, props and batteries can carry simliar loads.

16. Chris Shaw

Chris Shaw New Member

They are on 4s with 13 inch props according to a reply email. With the F55 they're getting 7-8 mins flight. They didn't say which Axi model# or speed controllers etc.

17. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Cool, do you happen to know what amp esc's they are using?

18. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

4s with F55/lens/focus... 13 inch props... ?

Those are some magical batteries and propso_O

Chris Shaw likes this.
  19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brad I was wondering the same thing.

20. Chris Shaw

Chris Shaw New Member

Sounds more like a good combination of power supply, motor RPM and prop pitch. Although we don't know the motor spec, they're obviously supplying enough rpm to spin up the 13 inch fast enough to lift all that weight and their choice of 4s has enough mAh to hold that weight for what they say is 7-8 mins flight.

I think the lesson here is "you don't have to go BIG to go big"

Freefly flew the Scarlet on 4s for 11 mins!