/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying a Red Epic/Scarlet

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Rick Marcus, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Daniel we haven't seen many folks using the Navigator series. They are new and don't have a track record yet. MT3515 are pretty popular but I don't know the equivalent MN.

2. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Hi! I want to lift my friends scarlet (...yes i do have an insurance :)).
    I'll get all parts (more dampers, all sort of o-rings, adj. tilt bar, longer roll-booms, enhanced gimbal mount plate) in about 2 weeks, and i don't have month to do the setup... i know it's always very individual, but to save at least some time, could someone please tell me, how many dampers (i think 8) with which (& how many of which) o-rings do you use to fly the red? The whole gimbal with cam, lipo, video downlink will be around 4.7kg.

Thanks a lot!

3. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Brad,
    Very interested to read here about your stock CS frame with beefed up motors and higher pitched props. 7 minutes is not bad flight times for only carrying 10,000mah, and of course you could easily carry more capacity for longer flight times. I was under the impression that you had to go with larger booms and larger props to get decent flight times with the heavier RED cameras.
    So I know you have also built the X8 configuration. I was ready to jump on the X8 bandwagon, but now Im not so sure based on the performance you seemed to be getting with the above setup. I know about the wind stability advantage with the x8, but there's also a few negative tradeoffs - loss of efficiency, props in shot more of an issue, more difficult to tune motors/props, etc...

So what's your opinion these days after trying both?

4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Bryan, yes indeed the flat with 14x8's will lift the Reds or similar fairly nicely with decent times as well. There is nothing wrong with that setup at all. Paired with a good brushless gimbal its all you would need.

I still prefer the X as it handles better overall and gives me more options for shooting with some trade offs that I can deal with.