/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flew over a local high school today

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Steve Maller, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I am working on getting clearance from the local police and school officials to film some local activities, so I contacted both the school administration and the local police department. Today I did a show and tell with about 7 local people in attendance. I established my standard safe launch/recovery zone, and did two flights above the school. I allowed the folks in attendance (the vice principal and a the police chief among them) to wear the Zeiss Cinemizers and watch in the LCD display as the copter flew. Everybody came away quite impressed, and it looks like I have approval to film the school band from above! That ought to be really fun for everybody!

Here is a photo of my launch/recovery zone, and a couple still frames from the video I shot. The video was just a proof of concept, so I wasn't too concerned with precise framing or composition. But the photos are pretty cool, nonetheless.

Video was shot on my GH3 in 'S' mode (as opposed to my customary manual) because the area in the trees was very dark compared to the school, which was in bright sun. Like I said, it was just a proof of concept.

IMG_8391.jpg BHS1.jpg
    BHS2.jpg

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Steve

Good to see you are so safety conscious Steve. Just curious did they approach you to film the band or is something you just want to do?

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

My kids went to high school there and I always filmed the halftime show of their big rivalry game (the band does great formations and the cheerleaders have special routines). I asked them this year if they wanted me to film any of it from the air. We all decided it would actually distract from the band's performance, but that I could follow the band as they march the 3/4 mile from one school to another (cops close the streets for this).