/dist/images/branding/favicon

First GPX/KML logs

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Weather is cleared up today. Gorgeous. No wind, clear and cool. And Iust got the first set of data back from the Navi board, and it is so cool. [naughty schoolboy grin]. I love being able to see my flight in Google Earth, too!

Now if I can just get my Iftron FPV setup going, I'll be golden. :)

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you left the camera pointing straight ahead (no panning), I could use the video and the GPX file you have got.
    What the hell is that bright light source creating shadows???

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Do you need that to be an actual FPV downlink, or can I just strap any old camera (I have a couple GoPros) on the Cinestar for this exercise? I am struggling with my Iftron TX/RX right now...

Oh, and that shiny thing? Just a nearby star.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Steve: Doesn't need to be actual FPV -- just looking for a camera that points straight ahead (rather than panning off to one side). A GoPro would be fine -- I can down rez it on my editing system.

Glad to hear you have a star down your way. Out here the Big Room is just gray and the ceiling's leaking like a sieve.

Andy.

5. Steve Maller

Got it! Nailed it!
    I shot a 5-6 minute flight with PH and AH and two GoPro cameras on board (one above and one below), plus my iPhone on the ground just for good measure. Plus, of course, the GPX/KML logs. And I didn't crash. :D
    How shall I deliver the goods? I'm editing down the video to YouTube HD size now, and I can go even farther downsize for you (assuming you're targeting SD DVD delivery?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's great Steve. I much appreciate you doing this (and not crashing!)

Actually, if you have a Dropbox account (even the free one), then you could send me a link to a folder or Zip file and I can pull it down from there.
    May I get the raw GoPro files -- I'm video editing on Final Cut Pro 7 (not X!) so it would be much easier to have the raw files.

If you don't have a Dropbox account, let me know your email address and I'll share a folder on my account and you can copy the files to there. My email address for Dropbox is andy@jli.com -- if you send me your email address I can send you an invite to share a folder on my account.

Andy.

7. Steve Maller

Will do.
    I made the mistake of recording these at high frame rates (love that 720p 120fps on the Hero3!), so i'm re-encoding them to get the file sizes down to a manageable quantum!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The Final Cut Pro sequence I've got is set for 29.97fps, but I can re-encode what I get from you to conform it to that.
    Thanks
    Andy.

9. Steve Maller

i'm re-encoding at 30fps and the file size is therefore 1/4 of what it was ;)

10. Steve Maller

And it's up! Check your messages...