/dist/images/branding/favicon

First Flights

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Ricardo Perret, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Ricardo Perret

Hello Alta Friends

now whe had our first alta Flight, Beautiful Machine :D
    but whe have a couple of Questions:

1. Alta Starts and fly very Stable in Manual mode but the control
    of the roll is working just to the left side, when i push the stick to the right, alta is not moving :confused: the same issue when i push the stick to the front, alta is not moving, when i push the stick to the back, alta is moving back!
    what is my failure? App looks good, i see all the stick movements...

VIDEO HERE

2. Mode Switch is config. like describe in the manual, Low Position means Manual Mode, Middle position means Height Mode and upper position means Position mode (GPS). Also checked with the App, see my different switch positions, looks good.

Manual Mode: Flight is okay
    Height Mode: Alta is Climbing up, no controls (abort with switch to manual mode)

Position Mode: Alta is climbing up, no control (abort with switch to manual mode)

VIDEO HERE

Did anyone now what it could be?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ricardo you need to adjust the Hover Throttle on the Configurations - Dynamics - Height screen.

On item 1 it's likely your TX sticks are not electrically centered or you have some trim values entered on the sticks.

3. Ricardo Perret

Hello Gary, thanks for your help.

>My TX sticks are 100% centered --> Video here i have just noticed, that the alta accepts verry slow stick movements to the right and will also fly right but with a little stronger movement, the alta stops directly the movement...

>Ok, i check the hover throttle on the config, but its strange, that i have no Controls for all functions it feels like the alta is doing a comming home... (no pitch, no roll and no yaw) Switch config Video here

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm with Gary....I would suggest that you use the Servo Monitor screen and verify what servo channel commands are actually being sent to the ALTA.

I assume that you're flying with the Futaba 14SG -- did you get it from Freefly with the ALTA 14SG "model" install in the transmitter?

Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ricardo I probably won't be much help. I don't have any knowledge of the Jeti DC-16. There was someone else, perhaps you, that was asking some Jeti questions for the Alta. You might also send a note to support@freeflysystems.com.

Best advice I can give in general is to check carefully each of the control mappings one at a time. Also check that the vertical and horizontal velocity clamps are properly mapped. Those settings, especially velocity, might be why you can move the right stick with no movement of the Alta (assuming in that video you were in GPS hold).

6. Ricardo Perret

Hy Andy
    Thanks for your suport.

As you can see in the Video, i Fly with Jeti DC 16 (cant buy for every drone a different Radio ;) ) .
    Here you can check my Servo monitor: in my opinion the sticks are centered.
    My Radio Servomonitor makes the same movements than in the Alta app... Center is center, full left is full left and full right is full right...

Could it to be connectedly with the settings: "Climb Rate Clamp" and "Velocity Clamp"?

Best Regards

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ricardo you have the clamps programmed to a slider or rotary control? You should go through the manual where it discusses channel setups and make sure that ALL of the channels are working and assigned.

8. Ricardo Perret

Hy Gary
    After reading this "clamo" Points in the Maual i dont understand correctly for what the "clamps" are really required!
    I have the issue when i have this two clamps set to OFF, no number in the Clamps Square (-). I flew also with set Clamps to a rotary knob, no different.

In the meantime i had contact with Freefly Suport (this guys are very fast, thumbs up) what i test now is to change the signal from "PPM_Invert" to the "PPM" Signal

Here the Answer from Freefly:

>Valid PPM pulse must be between 0.5ms and 2.5ms to register as a PPM value. Typically a received value is ~1.0ms to ~2.0ms for min/max stick

>Pulses < 0.5ms are recorded as bad and reset the frame (everything ignored till next frame)

>Frame gap requires of >5ms to trigger a new frame

>Must be at least 5 received channels to have a valid frame.

>There are both PPM and PPM_INVERT as selectable options in the radio menu, have you tried both? -> will try this point...

Best Regards...

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The clamps are upper limits on the vertical and horizontal speeds for the ALTA. They are incredibly useful for "follow" shots -- you can set the "clamp" to the speed of what you are tracking, knowing the the ALTA will not go any faster -- so you can deflect a stick fully and maintain some constant velocity without having to have the stick partially deflected and desperately trying to maintain constant deflection.

On the other hand, if you have the clamps set to zero, they are not much use -- they just prevent the nick and roll controls from having any effect. The ALTA just glues itself in the sky.

The technical description you got from FF is the standard definition for both PWM (pulse width modulation), single channel with one pulse every 2 msec that varies from 1 msec (0% servo motion) to 2 msec (100% servo motion). Typically for this you see one pulse every 20 msec.

Partial Pulse Modulation (PPM) means that there is a sequence (a "chain") of pulses each of which corresponds to a separate channel, and the rising edge (for positive PPM) of one pulse, to the rise edge of the next in the chain, determines the percentage of servo motion). The pulse chain is then repeated after a gap that I think is around 20 msec, but it depends on the refresh rate of the system.

Servo "motion" is a notional concept for a lot of the ALTA channels -- there are no mechanical servos as such -- they're just 0 to 100% of whatever you're trying to control with the channel (e.g. 100% throttle, or 100% roll, etc.)

If you use the JETI radio and you want to have nick and roll be effective, you *must* have the clamps at 100% value -- otherwise they act as limiters and it will appear to the ALTA that you're clamping the horizontal and vertical motion to some upper bound.

Andy.

10. Ricardo Perret

Hello Andy

Have set now the clamps again new to a rotary knob... now i have the Functions left, right, front, back and yaw but the Pitch is missing, i can't climb up ore decent in Height and Position mode...:confused: in Manual mode i have all Functions...

as additional: When i set the switch to Height ore Position mode, alta is slow flashing white, in Manual mode light is off

Best Regards...

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ricardo did you assign each clamp to a separate knob/channel? Can you check channel movement on the Jeti screen to make sure each one is going from zero to 100% ?

12. Ricardo Perret

yes i do...
    On my Jeti Screen i see -100 up to +100 shoult it go from 0-100!?

Im Pretty shure, jeti is working perfect with the alta but the settings are a little bit perplex...

is it normally: i see in the App monitor follow status at the Square "HEIGHT" Manual Mode: "Manual Height" in the Mode: Height Mode: "VARIO" and in the Position Mode: "VARIO"

Thank you for Your Help :)

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Your values are fine -110/+100. Can you do some screen shots of the app monitor and post them. I am assuming you have a 3 position switch mapped for mode.

14. Ricardo Perret

Hy Gary
    Yes, sure i have a 3 way switch for the Mode functions...
    VIDEO HERE

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ricardo your video is fine but we need to see the clamp items, bottom row left and center in operation.

16. Ricardo Perret

Hy @ all....
    Have today bought a Futaba SG14... after 10 min. Programming everything works fine and the Alta fly now like a super king and all Modes are working.

hmmh i really dont know what the problem is with jeti... for sure i will work on it to find this issue when i find a little time. I suppose its something with this programmed Clamps wich Alta not accept, will see.

Tanks @ all for the great and helpful support :)
    Best Regards Ricardo

Steve Maller likes this.