/dist/images/branding/favicon

First Flights

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Scott Stemm, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Just got my cinistar 8 this last week and have been out flying it this week before the rain arrives here in Tampa. I was wondering if someone could look at the GFX files and tell me if these looks normal. The first one (GPS 10) is of one of my first flights and 4th flight from yesterday and noticed that all the flights from yesterday the even motors were drawing more power then the odds. I went back and leveled the motors again got out this morning and I think the flight looks much better (GPS 3). Looking for any other insight if you are seeing anything else that I could improve on. I am at my parents house in Florida getting ready to head back home to Brazil on Saturday and seeing if there is anything else I need to do or get before I head off.
    I would also like to thank everyone on this forum for your help and insight.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Looked at your GPS00003 file, and it looks OK.
    It looks like you flew in manual, which is good. If you're planning to use AH or PH, I'd do some testing with those, and test Come Home, as well. It's helpful to see any anomalies with those before you have a camera on there.
    It also looks like you're doing very little actual "flying" with your max altitude being 10-15 meters. I'd get used to orienting the copter at 50-100m, too, and practicing slow, controlled descents from that altitude.
    I would assume from the numbers that you're flying with a single 8000mAh battery, and might I also assume you don't have a camera on there yet? If so, you're going to find your flight times very limited, so you might consider using dual batteries in parallel. But that's your call.
    Lastly, your BL temps are a little high, although that could be because of the weather in Florida. Again, if you were flying with a light payload, flying back home in Brazil in high temperatures with a camera on board could result in much higher temps. Watch out for that.
    That's all from me. :)
    Good luck!

Tyler Olson likes this.
  3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Your flying near water for your first flights!!! Now that takes some guts!!! Motor #6 in the first file GPS10 was really hot, hot t the point it should have done shutdown the BL. On GPS 03 #2 is a little hot but nothing to be too concerned about in the 2nd file. Did you rebalance anything that made #6 better on the 2nd file? Are you using one or two batteries and how are you putting the batteries on so that they are exactly in the same position for every battery change? One recommendation I have for you is if you haven't done so I would check your CG using MKtools balance function. You can do this if you have a wireless connection. I use the Xbee all the time and works really well and has great range.

4. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

thanks for that info. We are getting some storms moving in and all around us and I was a little protected from the trees off to my left. Did´t want to get to high into the high winds while still getting use to the new machine. Not looking good for the next couple of days as the tropical disturbance is moving in over the next 2 days. You are correct in one 8000 as I was trying small flights making sure everything is set up correctly before longer flights and that I wasn´t going to blow anything up. I was flying with the 3 axis gimble attached and only one flight with the camera on yesterday just to test it out. I would try with the camera on today but the liquid sunshine is keeping me inside.

5. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Dave on the second file I had taken the unit in and just re-leveled all the motors and that seemed to help. Only using one battery for these first few flights. There is water in the back yard but didn´t get near it yet :). As far as balancing everything out I havn´t spent as much time as I should as I have to break everything back down again to pack up for the flight back to Brazil. I know that I need to spend more time with this. I was basically looking at the mechanics of the overall machine to make sure that I don´t need to buy other parts before I head back down to the land of lets double or triple the price of everything if its available.
    If I get a small break in the weather I am still going to try to get out some more before Saturday
    Once again thanks
    scott

6. Dave King

I see. Just watch the IC temps once you start hovering using AH and PH. Since your flying rather low still that also might be a reaosn why a motor temps could be a little on the high side because your not getting any real wind to cool the BL's. Just keep an eye on them and try to setup your voices so you can hear the lady speak back the highest temp to you. The parameter you want to monitor is Sensor 2 temp and you can also view it through your telemetry of your radio. Good first set of flights!!! I crashed on my first day!!

7. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

That feeling of a rock dropping into your stomach... How bad was the damage Dave?

Also: I heard the BL shutoff temp is 120 Celsius. Is that right because I've been cooling off the copter when I hit 89-90 degrees C, which I thought was "safe" if the fry point is 120.

8. Dave King

The damage was minimal because I didn't have a camera gimbal on it at the time and it landed in 4" of soft snow to cushion it. Come to think of it I don't think anything was damaged.