/dist/images/branding/favicon

First flights with GH3: success (GPX file attached)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

My mostly stock CS8 with 2-axis Radian-stabilized gimbal is now flying the Panasonic GH3 with 12-35 lens. The camera appealed to me because of a number of reasons:
    • good IS system in the lens
    • 1080p60 at 50mbps
    • built-in intervalometer for stills
    • lighter than the 5D Mark III
    • built-in wifi for setting up camera without having to unmount it
    • HDMI output at 480P to ease burden on HDMI converter
    My first flights have been very nice, and I'm liking the initial results I'm getting. My GPX files indicate a very good level of performance, and I'd expect flight times approaching 15 minutes with my dual 8000mAh battery setup. I didn't push it that far in this flight because it was really cold, and the battery on my Radians crapped out about 10 minutes in. :( Here's the GPX from one of the flights, as well as the video I shot. Footage was stabilized in FCP X (1.2/1.2/0) and some of it was conformed 60-24. Enjoy.
    Steve

Attached Files:

Zach Beggs likes this.
  2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Steve its so hard to compare in vimeo. How would you compare the video sharpness and detail to the Sony 760 in native files?

3. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Anyone looking to buy a 5DM3 :) It doesn't have a scratch but it's been floating over the Santa Monica Pier!

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Dave King

Over or under the pier?

5. Shane Moore

Shane Moore Member

All very good reasons to go to GH3. I'm also interested in your thoughts on how it compares to other cameras you've used on a good monitor.

6. Steve Maller

It feels like there's far more clarity and depth to the pictures.

7. Dave King

Significant or minor?

8. Steve Maller

So far, it compares very favorably to the 5D Mark III. I'm interested to maybe try a good wide prime on it, but this lens (the 12-35/2.8 OIS) is pretty good. If I pixel peep the RAW stills, it's not perfect, but then again the 1080P video doesn't use all the pixels. I guess it just uses the good ones. ;)

9. Steve Maller

You can download the file from Vimeo and see for yourself.

10. Dave King

Thanks Steve.

Stupid me didn't realize you can download the video in better resolution. The video of the GH3 appears to be about 15-20% more clear and has more depth. I really like the part starting at 1:33 where the camera isn't panning. What causes the jitteryness when the camera pans? I see it in a lot of 5D copter video too. It is shutter speed? I think your running a 2 axis gimbal so you need to yaw to effectively pan the camera. I would imagine the panning of a 3 axis gimbal would be smoother than the yaw of the copter?

11. Shane Moore

Shane Moore Member

Dave, the jittery pans are often a shutter speed issue. If the shutter speed is too fast or the pan rate is too fast there's too much difference between each frame and that causes this effect. As a rule of thumb shutter speed should be half of frame rate to minimize this problem. If you're shooting 30 frames per second your shutter speed should be 1/60th of a second. If you're shooting 60 frames per second your shutter speed should be set to 1/120th of a second. For most applications this means that you'll need ND filters (usually 2-4 stops) to get to the ideal aperture of f8 or close for filming in sunlight. Of course rules are made to be broken, but this is a good place to start and should eliminate or minimize the strobing.

12. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Looks great to me, Steve: did you run with a pair of 8000 mah batteries in parallel with a 5d? or would that be to much weight? (presuming you were using a 5D)

13. Steve Maller

I always fly parallel 8000s, with everything...GoPro, CX760V, GH3, or 5D.

14. Elliott Dunwody

Elliott Dunwody New Member

Hey Steve,

Nice shooting and one of the first times, well maybe the first time I have ever been in the shot. Of what I remember of that evening it was pretty cold and windy.

As you know I am new to this forum and these platforms but am looking at a GH3 for a possible camera.

Anyway, your test footage looks very good.

E

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Good to know, Thanks

16. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Steve,

I'm still in the market for either the CX760 or the GH3. Is the quality of picture on the GH3 worth the extra cash?

17. Dave King

Kristan

Not Steve, but I have learned a lot about the differences between cameras the past few months. There's really no cut and dry answer to your question because you have to determine what your needs are and if the camera will meet your needs. I have the Sony 760 and have probably 40 hours of footage using it. I have downloaded Steve's GH3 raw file for comparison. Through my eye balls the GH3 is definetely clearer and sharper. I would say 10-15% sharper. However with the GH3 and any DSLR you have to be careful with shutter speed and pan speed. Any residual jitterness can be corrected with post stabilization though and won't be noticable if set correctly. With the Sony 760 there is absolutely no rolling shutter issues as it will pan perfectly stable. My 760 footage is so stable I need "0" stabilization correction if the wind is less than 7-8 mph. It's just that the 760 footage isn't "quite as sharp" as the DSLR footage, its just a matter of whether or not you really need that extra sharpness or if a client will request it. Sometimes a client will look at you strange when you first say your using a Sony 760. In my dealings so far clients are hugely impressed with the stabilizaton of the 760 and have not questioned the quality of it.

I will let Steve speak for himself but I believe he purchased the GH3 because he's trying to see if one camera fits most of his needs for stills and video. Plus it's lighter than the Canon stuff, and has some pretty cool features built in. It's pretty tidius running 2 different camera setups back and forth on one gimbal especially if you are a real stickler like me about balancing. Not only do you have to make sure the camera is balanced but you also have to make sure the gimbal's CG is close which can be pretty tidius going back and forth on one gimbal. I tried it using one gimbal at first but just found it took too much time. I purchased a 2nd gimbal so I can go back and forth between cameras rather easily but thats a tough decision for anyone right now since we are on the verge of the MOVI and other brushless options just coming out. For me the extra time saved between going back and forth between cameras was a no brainer to purchase a 2nd gimbal. It just saves so much time.

Where the 760 definetely lags is taking stills because even though the Sony 760 is 24 mp it doesnt shoot raw and it uses JPG compression that can't be adjusted in which it causes a lot of pixelation when blown up. It becomes evident if you look at a 11X14 closely of in photoshop when you go to 100% picture size. Its just no quite good enough for professional work. For web stuff its perfectly fine and you won't notice a difference.

For myself I"m using a Sony 760 and a Canon 7 right now but I'm really tempted to go the 5DMKIII right to shoot 1080 raw. The hacked footage posted on here is really outstanding. I'm just going to wait out and see if Canon will release the 7D MKII that's rumored to shoot 1080 60P but even then its uncertain how long it will take before its hacked for raw.

Kristian C likes this.
  18. Steve Maller

Kristian,

So far I have not flown the Sony or the 5D Mark III once since I've gotten the GH3. I've done both stills and video, and I am happy with both. I will say that the 5D Mark III is probably a significant step up in still quality, and roughly equal in video, not counting the Magic Lantern hack (which is a giant PITA, although arguably worth it).

IMHO, the Sony is now a distant backup, and probably relegated to doing terrestrial filming (occasional bar mitzvahs, etc.). The image quality is just not anywhere near the others, and the lack of true manual control is a real show-stopper for me.

WRT the gimbal issue, I've just embarked on a little side project to see if I can follow several others' lead and get a brushless system working on a second Freefly 2-axis gimbal I just bought. That may give me the best of both worlds. As Andy has mentioned before, he keeps two gimbals in ship shape for his different cameras, and if I can get the brushless stuff working, I intend to do the same. As for which camera flies on which gimbal, that remains to be seen, but I suspect the 5D Mark III will benefit the most from the (presumably) better stabilization of the brushless stuff.

Of course, I'm currently about #14,592 in line (if my calculations are correct) for a MōVI M5, which may arrive before I'm able to get my own hack job done.

To be continued... :)

Kristian C likes this.
  19. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Dave and Steve,

I am truly humbled by your thorough opinions and advice. Thank you! I'd ultimately like to have a canon full-frame DSLR (since I have several Canon lenses) that can do 1080 60p. Being that it's late in the year, I'm hoping that my assumption of Canon releasing one that is capable of doing that next year. Based upon what you two have advised, for now, I believe that a 760 combined with my Mark II would suffice. Thanks again guys!

20. Dave King

Kristian

No problem. I have received so much help and education from the great people on this board its really a great community. For me my shooting season will be pretty much done in early November as I don't like flying the batteries below 45 degrees. By February we should have a pretty good idea if Canon will be releasing something that will do 1080 60P for the next shooting season. For me in Pittsburgh it will be Mid March to early November. If they don't and the MKIII is still the ticket the price for it will be a bit lower.