/dist/images/branding/favicon

First day flying the M5... like a whole new game.

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Tim Joy, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I'm the lucky beneficiary to one of the M5's that were given away during NAB. My camera OP won it, and it really couldn't have come at a better time for us!
    Ever since the alexmos brushless gimbals have come out, me, being a big DIY'er, switched over my CS360 gimbal to brushless, and it was a non-stop battle to get it tuned right. I would sometimes achieve decent results, but I switched out components constantly, trying to get it perfect. Never happened.

Yesterday, we maidened Dan's new M5 after receiving it only the day before! Fitting a receiver and video TX was fairly simple, and the tuning configuration app makes adjustments and setup a breeze.
    Right out of the gate it performed flawlessly and produced the smoothest footage we have ever gotten, by far. Dan wasn't happy with the feeling of the controls at first, and to be able to connect the tablet and adjust it in 1 minute to his liking was just unreal.
    We tried out some longer lenses, and at high speed I saw some vibrations on my hard-mounted fpv cam, and asked Dan if he saw any through the gimbal.. Nope! Amazing piece of gear.
    I've always been a freefly fan, and everything I've ever gotten has just WORKED, but the MoVi really tops the cake. Tabb and the Freefly team, you have done a superb job and it has already made my life a lot easier!
    And big thanks for giving them away! Dan and M5.jpg

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Its great that a DIY'er was able to be the prize winner at NAB. This way, we were able to get a side-by-side comparison... looks like the M5 won!

3. kjetil tønnesen

good to heard tim
    i have order my m5 too and i also have tried the alexmos from the start and never get it perfeck and sometimes it works great and some not,so i hope my life gets easyer when i get mine too
    good luck with your m5 and fly safe

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Yup. It wins hands down. Yesterday we flew next to the lake and had some 15mph winds to contend with. The old gimbal would've showed lots of bumps and skipped steps from getting blown around. The movi held it and we pulled off some beautiful scenic shots that are ready to edit with. At one point, I was flying through a gate and doing a crappy job of it, bouncing around a bit, and Dan didn't even notice. So I guess it can make up for bad flying, to a point. :)
    Later, we took off the legs and went handheld for running around the woods, while remotely operating. I forgot to rebalance the pan but it didn't seem to matter much. Sooooo easy to get smooth dynamic shots. I can tell it will be easy to over-use this type of shooting.