/dist/images/branding/favicon

File Naming Convention

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App' started by DavidARogers, Jan 18, 2019.

1. DavidARogers

DavidARogers New Member

Is there any way to control the way files are named?
    It seems rather arbitrary. e.g.: MWOO9747.mov , QLUG0615.mov

Why not simply follow the same scheme as built in to iOS?

2. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Hey David, this is something we addressed. It is released on the beta app (you can get it at http://gomovi.com/beta), which we are preparing to push on app store as well (in few weeks). Naming scheme is Movi_YYYY-MM-DD_HH-mm-ss.mov

3. DavidARogers

DavidARogers New Member

I am already using this Beta Version.
    1.3.2 (B193)

4. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Are you getting the contents of the phone by connecting to its harddrive on windows? If so this isn't something we looked into in the past. From a quick test I see that iOS Camera puts files as IMG_3367.MOV. On the other hand exports into iPhone photo library from Movi app, Apple iMovie and Moment app show up with arbitrary names like you posted. I am adding this as an issue to our system right now. However, I'd like to note that it is a lot lower priority compared to many other features, thus it might take a long time before we get back to you on this.

5. DavidARogers

DavidARogers New Member

Im using Apple products.
    I also just tested a couple methods.

Using Image Capture (as I had done) gives funky arbitrary names.
    Exporting original file from Photos seems to preserve the Move name (woohoo)
    Airdropping file preserves original name.

The reason I used Image Capture was due to the fact I had many files and Photos would fail to import a few stating incorrect file format or corruption. Subsequent attempts to import via photos were successful AND unsuccessful. That is to say I had to try repeated imports to get one or two files at a time until finally I simply gave up on one particular file.

What is the recommended method of getting the files from the phone in order to preserve the filename convention you have set in place? Surely they have to go through the iOS Photos app and therefore the Mac Photos app.

6. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Thanks for sharing that.

I believe we tested Airdrop, as well as importing through Mac Photos app. Uploading to Dropbox, Youtube and iCloud drive should also maintain the file name