/dist/images/branding/favicon

Fielding questions about the Klassen Slingshot for movi

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Ray Dumas C.S.C., Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Ray Dumas C.S.C. New Member

I helped Walter design this new support system for the Movi and am available to answer questions.
    Very excited about the possibilities for the M15 , M20 and beyond

2. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Have u tested this system on a boat ?

3. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Boats are a funny thing. You generally have to choose between two options. Do I stabilize my horizon (background) and let all my subjects on the boat move up and down and side to side , or do I lock on my subjects and let the horizon swing wildly around. That choice will affect how the audience feels. I own a steadicam as well and have also tried shooting on boats with it. Problem is that both the steadicam arm and the Slingshot want to absorb all the vertical motion that is being applied to the camera. (Y axis) This means if you have waves of any significant size and you are trying to shoot a person on deck you will be struggling to even keep their head in frame. Waves are low amplitude so as the boat moves up and down the camera will appear to be bouncing up and down even though in reality it is the only thing staying still. It's particularly bad with steadi because the arm can only absorb about 2 feet of vertical motion and any wave bigger than 2 foot high will cause the arm to "bottom" out. If you are shooting boat to boat however and are moving fast, the Movi/slingshot combo would be great. The Movi will keep your horizon perfectly level and also deal with the increased wind while the slingshot helps you deal with the vertical up and down of the boat travelling at speed. (the slingshot bands can absorb several feet of vertical motion) Keep in mind, Extra safety precautions must be observed whenever you are shooting on a boat. Especially while wearing a rig that would send you to the bottom if you fall over.

4. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Thx for the answers, I do alot of boat stuff (b2b and static boat to land ) Currently I am using the steadicam combo, and would love to see videos of the Singshot in tested in those situation .

5. Ray Dumas C.S.C.

Nice.....I have a boat shoot coming up . I'll try and get you the results and some footage.

Rob Drewett likes this.