/dist/images/branding/favicon

FF Motor Control Set (FF ESCs)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Chris Shaw, May 11, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe your ESC don't auto sense the voltage? Contact the dealer where you bought them.

2. Claude Loyer

Claude Loyer New Member

Bonjour,
    the auto sense is working with the NAZA.
    I'M thinking of a sequence in power on.
    I have a GAUI 330x with a Fyetech controleur, and I have to supply the FY90 first, before the esc.
    For the moment, I supply the i2c with the 12V from the FF distribution board.
    I will change to esc#1 supply to see what append.
    merci

3. Claude Loyer

Claude Loyer New Member

Yes, find it!
    My fault... There is no colour on esc wires. So when connect on the NAZA the key of the connectors are down.
    I have connect the same way on the i2c. But it reverse.
    The key most be up. Make test, everything works.
    Motor test with MK Tools all start at the same value.
    Now I am on the good way, this copter will fly this week.
    I have seen an emergency setting in the i2c if you loose the signal is there somebody use it?

4. Adwin Jin

Adwin Jin New Member

Hi Adam,what cells of Lipo are you using? Is it possible that MK FC can handle the flight pack voltage? I want use 6S Lipo to power my FF control set,Also want use the MK avionis which *flash pattern* when under voltage.But i don't know how this function work,and how to connect the power line.Until you mention about this,I always thougt just power the FC with 12V from distribution board.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Adwin Jin likes this.
  6. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Im just about to start our HL project and I've been looking at a few options. I will fly our MK stack until Synapse is released so im going down the I2C route for now. My main concern is that the ESC will overheat!? Any problems with that any? And i mean when flying EPIC size payloads? I got the advice to go with the Hercules III board, but the problem there is i can only run 5s with out having to change some components on the FC.
    I know this is designed to fly those types of payloads but 40A ESC:s sounds quite small!? People are flying 60-80A ESC:s and having problems!

G

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Gustav there are so many variables that answer sounds like what a consultant says to everything they are asked, "It Depends".

Plus for the Herkules is it does I2C. Con is that if you were to have a failure the entire board is replaced.

Individual ESC's pro is easy to replace and lower cost. Con is a few more wires.

Most copters including heavy lifters have normal operations in the 8-15 amp range. So 40amps with a good ESC should be fine unless you are doing aerobatics :)

With the Abusemark I2C you can can run 6S with the MK stack. Easiest way is to not run direct 6S power to the MK stack. Yes will lose the battery telemetry but there are alternative methods of getting that information (Buzzer, FR-Sky telemetry).

Hope this helps. Of course whether it helps or not, well that depends....

8. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Thank you for the answer Gary.

I just want something reliable and I'm very happy with my FF gear. I just hope the 40A ESC:s are up for the task. I just like the whole set (ESC:s, Synapse and FF motors) when everything is out.

Have you flown heavy payloads with this setup? If so how is the temperature when landing?

G

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I am flying 8.63kg with the FF Motorset and some 4S test motors. They are not warm at all, just above ambient, usually about 25c.

10. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Yeah the big problem here is using MK and 6S without losing the telemetry. There is a way but it requires some work on the FC.

11. Adwin Jin

Adwin Jin New Member

Hi,Gary

Did you just power the converter by first ESC or all the eight ESCs power converter together?
    I really want to use eight ESCs to power converter together,Becase if i use the 1st ESC to power converter, the pin was't connected well sometimes.It's very dangerous that the converter lose power when flying.

12. Adwin Jin

Adwin Jin New Member

OK,done

13. Loïc Oswald

Loïc Oswald New Member

Hi everyone,

I've just receive the FF motor control set and my DJI A2.

I need your help to setup this on my cinestar 8 frame.

I don't understand how to take power from FF motor control to power the dji system.

Can you help me please?

Thanks a lot,

Loïc

14. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

I'm curious about this too. Or how to you connect it up to a MK board?

15. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'day Tyler,
    I'm about to connect the ff pdb to the new mk flight controller V2.5, at the moment I'm planning on running two wires at battery voltage (6S) from the pdb to the FC, then I will remove the centre pins on the servo connnectors and run 5V from the flight controller to the I2C converter. I'm assuming that running the i2c converter from the FC is a better practice than from only one ESC, but if anyone can chime in on what best practice is or should be I'm all ears.

Cheers
    Chris

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I'd run it from the 5V BEC. That's my setup today and I am running 6S.

17. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Garry,

That is from the 5V BEC in the first ESC?

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Each of the FF ESC's put out 5 volts. But with the Abusemark I2C converter you can plug all of them in since only the first position supplies voltage to the board. On the rest of pin sets the center/power pin doesn't go anywhere. This is not the case with many of the other flight controllers on the market.

EDI FERREIRA and Chris Fox like this.
  19. Claude Loyer

Claude Loyer New Member

Bonjour Chris,
    I am powering my FC from the 4S through the FF dist. board. And take the 5v from the FC to the I2c converter and it's work fine.
    I think it's more safe this way.
    Bonne journée,
    Claude

Chris Fox likes this.
  20. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Gary when did you change to 6S? Did you change motors too? I remember you saying you were testing 4S motors. What kind of difference did switching to the 6S batteries did it make for you?