/dist/images/branding/favicon

Feeding Nav data direct to Camera

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Chris Fox, May 18, 2013.

1. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi All,

I'm new to this game, but working on learning!

I'm going to be mounting a Nikon D800 onto my cinestar 8 with 2 axis gimbal, when it arrives, and have been wracking my brain on how the best way would be for geotagging the images (for use when running through orthomosaic processes, or DEM generation).

Now I know that I can do it roughly by synching the camera clock and GPX log file, but since I will be implementing a switch for shutter control on the 10pin connector for the camera, I was wondering if anyone has been able to use the GPS data from the MK GPS and feed that into the 10pin camera connection, in a similar fashion to using a Nikon GPS module which passes the data in via the 10pin connector?

Cheers

Chris

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chris:
    I think clock syncing is probably the best way -- although with the Sony CX760, it has an on-board GPS that can geotag the stills it takes. I wonder whether there is a GPS add-on for the Nikon that would do the same.

The GPS data on the MK boards is transmitted in datablocks on the I2C bus between the GPS, flight control, and navigation control boards so you'd need a small board, attached to that bus to intercept the data, isolate it and convert it into Nikon-speak.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll be interested to hear whether the Nikon GPS unit works -- it's going to be mounted under neath the motor leads, the MK Boards and the LiPo -- as well as the flight control Rx/telemetry and any FPV downlink you might have. Not exactly the best place for GPS satellite reception that close to all those sources of radio frequency interference.

Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris

From the lessons learned department.

1. Do not use any 10 pin connectors other than 'official' Nikon brands. I was using a reliable brand and it pushed the 10pin connector back into the camera. 8 weeks to get it replaced. Internet is littered with similar reports. I measured a real Nikon connector and the other brand. All measurements were different.
    2. If you go the trigger route buy the Nikon 10pin to 3 banana plug MC-22. If you are using a StrattoSnapper for the trigger, great product for this, to make it work with your trigger you need to connect the Nikon Purple & White to the Stratto Blue wire on the Stratto Connector. Connect the Nikon Yellow to the Stratto Red wire. Polarity does matter. You need to connect the purple/white together to trick the autofocus part of the connection.
    3. If you are going to shoot RAW only, plan on 1 shot every 3 seconds if you don't want to fill up the buffer. Anything faster will fill the buffer and then everything slows down. If you are going to shoot JPG then check the timing to determine when the buffer fills up.
    4. If you go with the Nikon GPS unit then just use the built in intervalvnometer, set it to the timing you need, and start it shooting prior to lift off. With dual cards you probably will have enough capacity to get you through the flight.

Looks like the GP-1 comes with a cable so rather than mount it on top of the camera you could mount it on a boom.

6. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Thanks for the replies.

Andy, that was my concern about a hotshot mounted GPS under everything else that makes the copter tick.

Steve, yep for sure if there is something that works, then no point reinventing the wheel, I was just thinking about how to get the shutter release to work as well, probably making it more complex than I need to though.

Gary, thanks for the sage words, ill try the intervolterometer option and GPS to start, and see how I go.

Thanks guys.

Chris

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

8. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

From two D800's I've had a 100% success rate at having the 10pin connectors punched in .... both were warranty, but the wait took forever ..... doh