/dist/images/branding/favicon

FAA releases Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Roadmap

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Andy, I was just now reading through some of this (on set, ironically) and it seems to all be for a different category than what we have, i.e. fuel tank vent requirements, turbine engine ratings, Vne, etc. Did I skim through it too fast?

During this whole notice of proposed rule making phase I thought they had specified an under 55lbs class of sUAS. Hopefully that's true and we'll see some specific language for that category soon.

nick

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

"For the next several years, the FAA will continue to use special mitigations and procedures to safely accommodate limited UAS access to the nation’s airspace on a case-by-case basis."
    Does this make all of you as sad as it makes me? Is any of this actual "news", or is this just a rehash of the same inaction that we've seen for quite some time? Is there any hope on the horizon for our camera ships to have any degree of freedom to operate legally and without having to endure the extraordinarily complicated process of applying for a COA from the FAA? :(

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like a subset of rules for Small UAS (sUAS) and that sUAS is defined as less than 55 pounds.

So yes Nick you went to fast, unless you are going to start the first turbine powered Octocopter :)

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Nick:
    Yeah, they trifurcate the UAVs into big, small, and hobbyist/recreation, where small is < 55 lbs (which is quite a high limit, I think)

The documents really were more a plan for a plan than a plan -- we'll have to wait for the Notice of Proposed Rule Making before we can get sense of where the FAA is going.

Andy.