/dist/images/branding/favicon

FAA laws/permits

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Chris Gerding, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

What is everyone doing about flying in public areas?
    In Colorado, there are lots of national forests and most of our shoots happen on public land. When going for film permits, and the Heli is stated that it'll be used, we hit a roadblock.
    Do others have these issues?
    How do you work around these issues?

Also, I never mention "drone" it's an aerial camera platform.

2. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Get a Section 333. I started to run into the same issue in Tahoe we talked with the local BLM etc. and they said if you get an exemption you can fly. Most of the time they don't care, but when we fly out at blackrock desert they expect a permit.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris if you hit a roadblock going through the pain and expense of trying for a Section 333 exemption as was done by the 7 companies that got the first ones may not help. Having the exemption might help but if they aren't even asking you if you have that type of permit or certification might no difference. National Parks appear to be totally shutdown to multi rotor copters and likely can't even get a permit. There is a thread here on the forum on the exemptions. What is missing from the public documentation is the operations manual which is said to be propriatary by the MPAA folks and the applicants.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary: I found an FAA response to an outfit called "Slugwear" who had applied for a Section 333 exemption. It gives a good clue as to what is required:

1. Please provide a copy of your UAS Operations manual, User Guide, Flight Manual or similar documents that​
    describes the design and operational characteristics for the type(s) of UAS you intend to operate, e.g. aircraft​
    performance and performance limitations, operating procedures, and aircraft loading information in as much​
    detail as possible. This should include the weight (fully loaded), maximum speed, maximum altitude, UAS​
    response to loss of GPS signal, and limitations regarding weather conditions for operations.​
    2. In support of your request for an exemption under ยงยง 91.401-417, Slugwear states that prior to every flight, the​
    PIC will inspect the aircraft to ensure that it is in an airworthy condition. Any general maintenance procedures or​
    replacement of consumable items outlined by the sUAS manufacturer, if applicable, will be complied with by the​
    PlC. ln no circumstance will a sUAS be operated in a condition that is deemed, or suspected to be, unsafe. lf such​
    a determination is reached, and the problem cannot be remedied to the satisfaction of the PlC, the sUAS will not​
    be operated until consulting with the manufacturer or one of its authorized dealers to complete necessary​
    repairs. Please describe the procedures that the petitioner intends to implement, such as pre-flight inspections,​
    maintenance, and repair, to ensure that the UAS is in a condition for safe flight. This information might be​
    included in an Operations Manual, User Guide, Flight Manual or Maintenance and Inspection Manual or similar​
    document.​
    3. In support of your request for an exemption from 14 CFR 91.109, Slugwear states that the sUAS pilot will be​
    trained in advance for the safe operation of the sUAS to be operated. This will include operation of the sUAS​
    both in normal and emergency modes of operation, and will include familiarization with the operation manual (or​
    similar) if published by the sUAS manufacturer. Training will also include types of maneuvers to be performed​
    and the safe operation in relation to persons, property and applicable airspace. Please provide any information​
    required of the PIC such as applicable training related to the operations, any minimum hours of flight experience​
    required by the PIC, both total flight time and time with the particular UAS. If the operation would use visual​
    observers, please describe their roles and qualifications.​
    4. Please provide specific information on the proposed altitude. You should also describe potential hazards and​
    safety mitigations associated with these proposed conditions.​
    5. Please provide information on the characteristics of the area of intended operation and the associated potential​
    hazards, in accordance with the statutory mandate under Section 333 regarding proximity to populated areas.​
    6. Please provide information regarding your intentions to operate in the proximity to airports per Section 333.​
    7. Please provide any procedures you would implement for conducting a preflight safety risk assessment to​
    determine that the UAS is in a condition for safe flight under 14 CFR 91.7(b) and that planned operations can be​
    completed safely. ​

Andy.

5. Ryan McMaster

Saw that one. I have been working off what has been published and what is coming out every week from the FAA. Basically with the flight manuals what I have done is taken the manual for a plane and somewhat re-written it for the Flat octo/hex and the Coax with spec's from each company involved (FF, MK, Tiger etc). The other crummy part.. is re-doing my pilots license. Ill have that done by years end.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Other than the original 7 has anyone else been issued an exemption?

7. Ryan McMaster

Not that I know of off hand. I am waiting to start mine until I have my pilots license back in hand and all the "writing" done. Most of the 30ish that were submitted after the initial 7 will be around the end of January early Feb.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Not that I've seen. I've set up email monitoring on regulations.gov to monitor the next batch of around 40 petitioners.

Andy.

9. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Hi Ryan, I'm not sure what you mean by "re-do" your pilots license but wanted to make sure you know before you go through a bunch of hoops; your pilots license is good for life unless the FAA specifically cancels or suspends your privileges. Your medical must be re-newed every two years depending on what class it is. This is also true for a bi-annual flight review and currency training however, if you do not plan on flying passengers, you do not have to maintain currency except for IFR currency. I may be wrong but it would be a bummer if you already had a pilots license and went through a ton of studying to "re-doing". Just a thought...

10. Ryan McMaster

Rod,

I got mine when I was 14 and have not flown since I was 16. Its been more then a Decade since I last flew so I am "re-upping" all my knowledge. mainly medical and a refreshing of air space knowledge. The people I am using for my 333 recommend I get everything back up-to-date, I guess "re-doing" was the wrong wording.

11. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

I only commented because I did sorta the same thing... got my medical current and biannual scheduled, found out my pilots certificate was paper not plastic and told I had no privileges to exercise flight legally until I had a new certificate issued. I thought I was in for a major hassle but got my license a week or so later and realized my social security was no longer on my license.:) I found the experiance relatively painless and hope that helpful spirit from them continues on through the phase of becoming commercially licensed unmanned pilots...Thought I'd share my experience and say Cheers on getting your license up!

12. Ryan McMaster

I WISH I had kept everything up to-date. Its a lot less then I thought, the main part is the Medical and Air space. I need to re-take the ground test and log I think ~20 hours of flight to get everything sorted. I am having fun with it and its a nice change of pace to be working this coming week then taking a month off to do pilot stuff!

13. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Sounds awesome!!