/dist/images/branding/favicon

FAA fine for ANY camera on rc aircraft?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Paul conto, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I went into my LHS and one of the guys started talking he heard on the news that the FAA is working on a new rule for that ANY camera on an RC aircraft, for commercial or not, would be faced with a $1000 fine and a feloney. I did a quick search online and can't find anything but has anyone heard this yet?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

LHS dude is watching too much hysterical local news.
    The FAA is not in charge of cameras.
    Some local and state governments are trying to implement privacy and surveillance laws, but they're all works in progress. AFAIK, you're safe.

Gary McCready likes this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

News yesterday reported a cease and desist order from the FAA to the folks that own Lakemaid beer. They filmed themselves delivering a case to ice fisherman and it went viral on Youtube. Though no money exchanged hands, seems that one of their executives loves flying UAV's, the FAA didn't like it since it seemed to promote, therefore, benefit even obtusely their marketing efforts. The owner/marketing guy was on Fox News this morning and he is just a good old boy and was a hoot to watch. Makes a good case one why we need less govt. His one line I loved, and paraphrase, "We thought it was a better idea to fly over a frozen lake than fly over town like Amazon."

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3132463088001/faa-grounds-brewerys-beer-delivering-drone/#sp=show-clips

Dave King and Steve Maller like this.
  4. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I'm thinking Publicity stunt, like the Amazon thing. That hex didn't look like it could lift a 12 pack, about 10 lbs?? Not that fast, like in the video anyway.

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

He says in the video they had to off load some bottles.

6. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Makes one wonder why guys share their drone reels in public forums. Promoting your aerial service via your drone reel in a public forum where your main competitors are members is absolutely silly. A good percentage of FAA snitching comes from your competitor operating in your area. Fact.

Our industry is very competitive and cutthroat.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

This gets better.

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:

Force the FAA to issue an Airworthiness Certificate for Beer Drones (BUAV's).

The FAA has recently revoked authorization for a struggling small business to deliver its product via Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. This innovative product-to-market technique allowed a small business to grow its brand and take advantage of a government-supported initiative to embrace UAV technology. The FAA has no standing to restrict the delivery of products by small businesses and choke economic growth.
    Created: Jan 30, 2014
    Issues: Economy, Small Business, Trade
    SIGNATURES NEEDED BY MARCH 01, 2014 TO REACH GOAL OF 100,000

99,771​
    TOTAL SIGNATURES ON THIS PETITION

229​

You can vote at https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...hiness-certificate-beer-drones-buavs/H6N7553G

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

They should have used Lakemaid Lite. :)

9. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

The FAA regulations broke his printer... haha
    Cracked me up! :)

10. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

Some of the guys at the office are sending around the link to the video about the frozen lake beer delivery via multirotor. I point out that the physics of lifting a 12 pack probably wouldn't work on a rig of that type. To ease their disappointment I give them this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE308tuGtPw

Which although not that practical, will actually work.

11. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Make that 230!