/dist/images/branding/favicon

European Frame Rates 25P/50P

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Marc Caduff, May 22, 2018.

1. Marc Caduff

Marc Caduff New Member

Are the European frame rates (25p/50p) missing in the current app?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, Marc -- I don't see any reference to those frame rates in the app. Let me see if I can find out an answer.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Marc Caduff

Marc Caduff New Member

Thanks Andy. I hope this gets added quickly as this is quite a showstopper in Europe...

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've had contact with the developers, Marc. They will add it to the feature requests list -- I'm not quite sure when it will be resolved though...

Sorry I can't be more help.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Jason Woodcock

Jason Woodcock New Member

2nd the call for 25 and 50 please work with the BBC and this is a show stopper for us not being able to use the above frame rates, Please update us ASAP THX

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood. Nobody shalt disappoint the Beeb....Seriously, though, I've relayed the request to FF.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Jason Woodcock

Jason Woodcock New Member

8. Tim Squires

Tim Squires New Member

Yes, 25/50 are essential.
    Should be implemented as soon as possible!

9. Ben Holmes

Ben Holmes New Member

Having just got my Movi I’m disappointed to discover the app doesn’t have custom recording frame rates or shutter speeds etc. especially as a PAL users.

I’m guessing it’s limited to 24 or 30p as that’s what the phone recording supports, rather than using their own recording software like Filmic Pro.

I admit it didn’t even cross my mind that a company like Freefly would release a piece of hardware without professional recording options. I’m concerned we’re in for a long wait in this regard.

Is it possible to set the mode for the Movi in the Freefly app then use Filmic Pro to record? This would be a good workaround for now.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Ben:

Yes, you can certainly set Majestic Mode and then switch over to Filmic Pro. However, you cannot use any of the A-position to B-position modes and then switch to Filmic Pro, I'm afraid. One enterprising forum member used two iPhones (if I'm recalling that correctly), one two running the Movi app and controlling the Movi (but not mounted on the Movi) and the other running Filmic Pro and mounted on the Movi. Of course, that's all predicated on having two iPhones!

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

11. Ben Holmes

Ben Holmes New Member

Thanks Andy. I’m evaluating the Movi for a client wanting multiple units, but lack of 25p recording is a total dealbreaker at the moment - delivery specs are 25p only. I sincerely hope the developers will add it soon, and not forget about us Europeans.

Do we know if the 24p and 30p options are frame-rate locked? Or is it variable frame rate iPhone video?

12. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

It’s perhaps worth mentioning that Freefly has APIs in the works for both iOS and Android, which could be used by FilMic Pro, etc. See 09:14:

13. Ben Holmes

Ben Holmes New Member

Thanks Rorick

I’d add that I suppose the main use for 25p recording is in majestic mode - but I’d hate to see the extra functionality of movilapse and A>B recording lost in an API-enabled implementation in Filmic.

Honestly I think the Movi App is well made and usable and I’d just prefer it had proper, locked 25p/50p frame rate recording. And preferably log/higher bit rate recording etc. I think I just assumed that given Freefly’s stellar reputation in the pro market that they would offer this at launch. Perhaps that’s unrealistic - but the market moves fast. If they don’t move quickly to resolve this the next generation of Osmo could easily overtake the Movi for lack of small features.

14. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

My hope is that a FilMic Pro implementation would retain all of the Movi’s functionality.

The Movi app is clearly a work in progress (e.g. the new beta includes white balance), and the absence of PAL frame rates is more than a little surprising. Unfortunately, Freefly has chosen to say nothing about the app’s roadmap so owners have no idea where it’s going. And it’s rather odd that announcement of two APIs would come in an offhand comment during a video on counterweights. That said, the app has the potential to be significantly better from both a user interface perspective, and perhaps feature perspective, than those of competitors. I’m very much hoping that Freefly stays with the product rather than emulate the approach of competitors, which is to constantly release new, and flawed, products.

In case you aren’t familiar with what FilMic Pro’s integration with the Osmo is about, here’s a very recent video on it:

#14 Rorick Edge, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  15. Twan Spierts

Twan Spierts New Member

One of my clients (a broadcaster) might be interested to buy quite a few Movi gimbals. But 25 fps (native and/or via Filmic Pro) is an absolute requirement for them. Any updates on the app roadmap, so any idea when we might expect European frame rates?

16. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks for your feedback on Movi App and for your patience with this feature as well. Here is a test build for you to try (applied on top of the latest v1.3 beta app). If you are happy with this, we will finish implementation and merge it into the main app.

Here is where you can download: https://testflight.apple.com/join/BT32Nenn

Here are notes about this build:
    • New 25fps option for Settings > Camera > Base Frame Rate
    • When 25 is selected, Camera will have the following frame rate options: 25, 50, 100, 240
    • Note that the value displayed on the toolbar is not representative for 25fps mode right now.

17. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

Still nothing?

18. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Did you try the update on my previous comment? Happy with it?

19. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

Hi-
    I have a job to shoot tonight and don’t want to mess with betas in case things go wrong.