/dist/images/branding/favicon

EC5

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Pete Maughan, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

I've just bought some EC5 connectors to change my batteries over for my new Alta 8. The connectors I have are really tight when connecting to the alta. Is this normal or are there slight differences in the connector size from different manufacturers?

2. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

It seems to be pretty normal. Just make sure they are pushed all the way in when you connect them. They should become slightly easier to push in after a bit of use

3. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Thanks Ben,

I've ordered some other ones, the ones I had bought where significantly bigger, about 1mm.

4. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Good shout in that case. It's hard to know if your getting real EC5 connectors or knockoffs. After reading another forum apparently real EC5 connectors you push into the housing after you've soldered them onto the wires and the fake ones you push the wire through the housing, solder the connectors on then pull them back into the housing. If that's correct all mine are the knock off ones but they seem to work fine.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It is critical that you ensure that the EC5 connectors you use can be pushed fully into the ALTA's connector. If this does not happen there is a possibility that it will cause arcing or a high-resistance contact. That in turn leads to the connector heating up and possibly melting the solder connection in flight. As you might expect, that is followed shortly thereafter by RUD of the gimbal and ALTA.

Andy

** Rapid unplanned disassembly.

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Chris Harrison likes this.
  6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah. I've used those same ones and they're expensive but good.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Little tip for UK guys. The ones from ComponentShop.co.uk are slightly larger and don't work with the Alta.

Apart from my confusing first steps the oversized ones, I'm thinking, EC5 where have you been all my life? So easy to solder.

Ben Platts and Steve Maller like this.