/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dual FPV Setup on Futaba

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Mike Fortin, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

Hi Guys,

Wanted to see from those of you who are running a dual screen FPV setup on your Futaba radios what your setup looks like and what you're using for a tray and mount. I like this idea instead of having something on sticks.

Working on building something now for the pilot and wanted to see what you guys have created.

Thanks in advance.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's what I commission a colleague to build using a Progressive RC XL hard case (and thanks Roger!):

ALTA Pilot\'s Groundstation.png

3. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

That looks good, not what we're looking for though.

4. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

What we're in need of is a basically how the Inspire 1 works with it's controllers daisy chaining off of each other.

• Pilot needs 2 monitors - 1 for FPV and 1 to see what the Gimbal is seeing.
    • Camera Op - Needs 1 monitor to see what the gimbal sees
    • Video Village - Needs a feed from the gimbal

Whats the best way to accomplish this, ideally there would be no pelican or tripod involved.

5. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

Looking at simply having 2-3 Connex units so that each has their own.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The ALTA does not function in the same was as the Inspire 1, Mike (which uses only has a single camera and uses an alternate radio frequency to connect the pilot RC to the camera operator RC).

The MōVI is a completely independent subsystem from the ALTA. There are no wires that go between the two.

So what folks do is:

1. Have one FPV camera on the ALTA with its own FPV video transmitter downlinking to the pilot.
    2. Have another payload video transmitter operating on a different frequency on the MōVI downlinking the video from the MōVI's payload camera.

Then the ground station receivers can provide the monitors and video feeds you need.

Of course, it's entirely up to you how you configure the pilot and camera operator's ground-based equipment so you can avoid Pelican cases and tripods as you require.

Andy

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You probably don't need two Connex, Mike. The FPV video downlink from the ALTA is standard definition.

Andy.

8. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

I realize they are not like the Inspire, I've run heavy lift systems for quite some time.

My need is to have both the FPV (standard def) and Gimbal feed (HD) to the pilot (dual SmallHD) and camera feed only to the gimbal operator and to a directors monitor.

The only way I can see to accomplish this setup is to have dual Connex systems.

9. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

I imagine the pilot has no need for HD gimbal feed, so why not take an analogue split from the gimbal operators feed (on the ground) and have that feed going to another fpv transmitter (working on a different channel to the ALTAs fpv Tx/Rx) and the pilot having two receivers one for the gimbal split and the other for the FPV signal.
    This is what I have been planning to do. At the moment I am either just using words to communicate with the gimbal operator (without seeing what they are seeing) or if we are operating from a stationary position I have a HDMI cable coming from their monitor to my second monitor.

10. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

Don't need HD, just prefer to have it.

As the pilot, I feel it's important to be fully mobile and self contained. I tend to move around a bit when flying so for me it's important.

11. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yes I agree thats why I'm gonna get the system explained above going.

12. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

another option would be to get a HD video Tx system that will communicate with multiple Rxs. But this will obviously be a whole lot more expensive and might be overkill considering the pilot has no real need for a HD signal.

13. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Mike, for the setup you're talking about, I'd run it like this:

• Pilot has two monitors, each with their own receiver. One with a CONNEX/Paralinx/Teradek receiver for the gimbal camera, and one with the SD receiver from the FPV camera.
    • The cam op just has the gimbal camera receiver hooked up to their monitor.

Most companies have a multiple receiver option, to receive a feed from a single transmitter on multiple receivers, including CONNEX.

Mike Fortin and Dimitar Krustev like this.
  14. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

Thanks Bryan, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Seems like we will just go with the Dual Connex system and the 5.8RX for FPV.

Anyone have pictures of the remote setup with the dual monitors? Would love to take a look.

Thanks!

15. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

I use a small HD AC7 for the pilots monitor. This has the SD receiver for the FPV camera and has 1 of my 3 Connex receivers to provide the camera feed. Using PIP I can either have both feeds the same size in the screen or fill the screen with one feed and have the other in one of the corners- I choose which depending on what my priority for the flight is. The 2nd Connex receiver is the cam-ops and the 3rd is for director/focus puller/ video village or what have you. The 3rd monitor also has SDI and HDMI out so it can be daisy chained.

16. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

Mike, this is the pilot setup I've been using for awhile. It's pretty much what you're talking about with the dual connex system plus 5.8 for fpv. Most of our operations are in areas that don't have flat ground to set a tripod or set down a peli, so it is essential to be completely mobile and hands free for climbing/rope use, holding on/whatever. What did you end up going with?

Attached Files: