/dist/images/branding/favicon

Drifting and flying sideways

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Adam Varadi, Oct 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

Hy everyone.

I just received my ALTA 8. After flying a lot with A3 pro, the position hold and forward flying seems quite bad.
    After calibrating the compas, the copter still flies in little circles when hovering in gps position hold. Similar to A2 when the compass wasn't calibrated. My other problem is when i want to fly forward, it keeps drifting to the right. When I fly backward it drifts to the left. Similar when other drones have the compass not aligned properly.

Here is a video showing the problem:

Another issue I have is in atti mode, when i release the sticks, it starts to drift right. When I turn 180 degrees (to make sure its not the wind) it flies to the right again. (from my viewpoint it flies left, but the drone is faceing me)

Appriciate any ideas. Thanks!

2. Daniel Waghorne

Have you tried going into the Attitude settings and adjusting the trim on your pitch and roll?

3. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

Thanks for the info, the trim did help with the atti hovering. But tin GPS its still drifting.
    See video bellow. First atti forward/backward, then gps forward/backward. As you can see when i release the sticks in atti mode, the drone will make a small circle before it starts hovering.

Thanks for the help!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam: The flying in small circles is sometimes called "toilet-bowling" and can be caused by solar weather -- the Sun emits charged particles that interfere with the GPS signals. You can see the planetary index (aka the Kp Index) for these charged particles here: http://n3kl.org/sun/images/noaa_kp_3d.gif?

Each bar represents three hours. The time is shown in UTC.

Do you happen to know what the Kp Index was when you saw this toilet-bowling?

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Adam Varadi

Adam Varadi Member

Hy Andy,

Thanks for the info, I'm familiar with the effect, but to be honest I didn't experience it in the last 4 years, while using other drones.
    Today when i was flying the K index was 4.
    (Tested another drone at the same time, and that didn't have this problem)

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Adam:
    Hmmm.....not sure what the problem might then be -- you might want to open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) and ask them whether they can suggest a plan of action.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Rolands Zelders

Hi Adam,

Have you figured out what was the problem?

After some days off I flew my Alta today and have experienced same issues!!