/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dramas with gains

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Angus Benson-Blair, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Okay, camera is a 5D with 24-105 lens, perfectly balanced and with a RT motion FF attached and in handheld mode

Pan gain 85, roll 64, but get this

Tilt gain I cannot get beyond 5, yes 5 before vibes set it. I have even tried putting a wedge between the lens and the mount but this has had no effect.

Any ideas what's going on here?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

First thing I'd check, Angus, is that the camera feels "hard mounted" to the cross tubes on the MōVI -- what you're describing sounds very similar to what happened to me when the camera was a bit loose (I'd forgotten to tighten the clamps on one side of the down tubes).

If the camera is at all loose it starts to act almost like a tuning fork and the whole piece of kit flutters like a leaf in the breeze. If the camera is hard mounted I'd make sure that everything else that should be tight, really is. Any looseness in the system can cause those kinds of vibrations.

Certainly you should be well above a setting of 5 for tilt. Perhaps somewhere around 13 - 15.

Andy.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I forgot to ask -- is this a new problem (first time with this camera/lens/FF)? Or has it worked fine before?

Andy.

4. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Thanks Andy, got is sussed now. All the tubes were tight etc however the camera mount bar was not tight enough given the camera was on the last hole- it simply cant hold the camera tightly enough. What I think is needed is a longer mounting bar. My 5D is very front heavy with this setup and the Movi's camera mount bar is too short to go back far enough especially with the 15mm rod clamp attached to the front.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aha....so it was WCS (Wobbling Camera Syndrome). Yeah, that glass is pretty front-heavy. I balance it for 70mm and the MōVI seems quite happy to deal with the shifting CoG for 24 or 105. Well, maybe not deliriously happy, but it works well. :)

Glad you sussed it out though.
    Andy.