/dist/images/branding/favicon

Does your gimbal determine which jobs get? (e.g. M10 vs Z15)

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Trevor Knauf, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Trevor Knauf

Trevor Knauf New Member

I am considering an investment in the Movi M10. I am curious if anyone has an example of how owning one (or not) has impacted their customer acquisition.

Do you get more customers?
    Do customers ever ask for both ground and aerial with the Movi M10?
    Does it effect your day rate?

I live in Europe, and have seen on a number of occasions that customers are specifically requesting the Movi. Just curious if that is a trend, or just random occurrence. If it is the way the industry is moving, probably need to get one.

Thanks.

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

MOVI doesn't get jobs, your skill set, reputation, and previous work is what brings the clients in.

Chris Harrison likes this.
  3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I think it depends on the level of sophistication of your intended customers. If you’re in LA or in another place where you’re dealing with high-level production pros who are very familiar with the state of the art, you’re more likely to get specific gear requirements. On the other hand, if you’re dealing with maybe corporate or private folks with limited experience, they’re more likely to defer to your expertise, at which point I concur with Dave’s comments above.

Trevor Knauf likes this.
  4. Trevor Knauf

Trevor Knauf New Member

I'm not suggesting that it gets you a job, but I am asking if people are finding they are suitable for more jobs based on having the Movi (vs a homemade gimbal for example). I can tell you from an example last week, where an aerial shoot for a commercial specifically required a Movi.

Just curious if the people who own them, find themselves eligible for more opportunities than if had they not owned one? Or if this was just a unique case.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Trevor

I would have made the investment of a MOVI myself if I thought it did. I am just like you trying to get more clients. Its very possible to get great results with homemade brushless motor gimbals. What it comes down to IMO is how much time do you want to spend on building and setting it up? there's a huge thread on this subject that I believe is over 60 pages long. The MOVI will probably provide you to fly it with little or no tuning provided the camera is balanced correctly. Setting up your own brushless gimbal is definitely a little more time consuming but it can provide extremely good and reliable footage. Steve Maller who posted above has some incredible footage that is every good as a MOVI.

If your company has the budget and money isn't an object the movi is a great piece. If your like me and a small company where you have to watch every dime you spend and have the time and ability to build your own gimbal you can get some great results for a fraction of the cost. If you are in a market where many of the production companies are into new and trendy equipment they might specify that you fly with the movi but if you have a good demo reel that can show some really good stabilized footage you can probably get the job.