/dist/images/branding/favicon

Does MOVI M10 attach to Cinestar HL or 8?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Resumes' started by Taylor Higgins, May 5, 2014.

1. Taylor Higgins

Taylor Higgins New Member

Hi all,

I am new here and I am interested in purchasing the MOVI M10 for steady shots for my Sony fs700/Red Epic. My question is: Are there pilots who man the Cinestar aerial copters that would be willing to come down on the price if I own the M10 rig and camera? Does the M10 rig hook into the Cinestar aerial unit? I am working out a business plan and really am not sure if pilots do this?

Would it be difficult to find a pilot that would bring just the aerial unit?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Technically, if you're talking about doing this in the USA, the legal bits haven't been sorted out, so doing this commercially is not permitted.

However, just on general principles (and purely hypothetically, of course), it's possible that you could find somebody who would do this. The "MR" kit from Freefly will convert your M10 to a flyable rig. And it's a perfect mate with the Cinestar depending on the weight of the camera rig. However, even the proverbial "HL" might have difficulty with a fully-loaded M10.

And your "come down on the price" comment is amusing...not exactly clear what the starting point is, but remind me to start 50% higher when we talk. ;)

Taylor Higgins likes this.
  3. Taylor Higgins

What I meant was, being that I would have a M10 Gimble already, and the fact that the pilot would not need to bring his/her M10 gimble ($15k) would the pilot come down on the price because of the fact that I already have the gimble?

Thanks ;)

4. Taylor Higgins

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Taylor the short version of the long odyssey of the FAA is that the ruling has been appealed. Another person has recently been hit with a $2200 fine (guy in New York last year that bounced his Phantom off of several buildings and plunged to the street).

6. Taylor Higgins

Gary are you saying I cannot hire an aerial photographer using a drone for a commercial shoot legally?

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The 'legal' part is the big question and since the FAA appealed the ruling my understanding is that while on appeal it is the status quo. And the FAA says that commercial use of drones without a Certificate of Operating Authority are not allowed. But that is just one persons interpretation.

8. Taylor Higgins

Thanks Gary. Much appreciated.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, technically, it is also the FAA's interpretation too. Until the full board of the NTSB hears the appeal in Huerta v. Pirkler the administrative law judge's opinion is stayed (or so I was told by a Law Profession specializing in Administrative Law).

Andy.