/dist/images/branding/favicon

Do you have an issue with Pan Drift when using the Mimic Pro?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Kurt Wallrath, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Appreciate your taking the time to respond on the Forums, Deniz!

I just retested everything and it's still drifting. I'm not talking about a lot of drift, but I can watch the camera slowly panning. I even re-calibrated the compasses on the Movi Pro and Mimic. Set Declination to 12 degrees (according to your link, zip code 90035).

It drifts in every Heading Assist mode: None, Fixed (on Movi Pro), Compass. I've tried all the combinations I can think of between Mimic and Movi Pro and it is always panning just a little bit. Not a ton, but way more than something that would take 10 minutes to notice... I can watch it drifting. My mimic is mounted onto a tripod head, so it's not moving.

Shots are definitely operable with the slight Mimic drift -- that's not the problem. It's when you're using the Movi as a fixed remote head, and you frame the shot, and step away from the camera for a minute, and then it's pointing in completely the wrong direction because it's drifted off. Drives me and the Directors crazy!! On longer shots, I have to constantly be back-panning the Mimic to counteract the drifting. This is why I prefer to use my geared wheels, because they can be zeroed out and won't drift at all.

2. Vinnie Laraway

Vinnie Laraway New Member

Hey Deniz, here's a use case... we want to be able to have the Pro or XL on a locked off jib for a lock off shot. The frame should be 100% still. When it drifts the operator has to keep fixing it. And the Drift is usually very noticeable even after a few seconds. What would you recommend here?

3. Deniz Ertan

Deniz Ertan New Member

My mimic is also drifting sometimes. I dont know why, its interesting because sometimes its stop drifting when i restart movi and mimic, sometimes it stop drifting when i change the location and sometimes it stop drifting for no reason. I love mimic ❤️

4. Gabbo Marvasi

Gabbo Marvasi New Member

Has this issue been solved? My Movi15 is drifting with Mimic and when I use the Alpha Wheels. In every Heading Assist. I was hoping that on the PRO this would have been solved... This is a major problem, a professional equipment can not have this issue, it takes 80% of the possibility we have to use it as a remote head on dollies, Jibs, crane... It is a serious, very very serious f#&% up of this product, PLEASE FREEFLY SOLVE THIS QUICKLY

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Alpha Wheels with Movi Pro?

With Alpha Wheels and their SBus XR module, I don't get any drift if I switch to Fixed Mount on Movi Pro (don't think this applies to M15). The disadvantage is that it can really throw the remote operator off when the Movi is handheld, because the handheld operator's panning is translated to the Movi, unlike with no Heading Assist.

So I set Heading Assist based on the shot.

With the PLC Electronics Veracity Wheels, I was able to Zero out the drifting by trimming it on the wheels, but that system uses an analog transmitter and there's noise and delay in the system.

I've also heard rumors of Freefly creating a 'Trim' setting in the app that could adjust for drift, but it's just a rumor and I'm not sure how it would apply.

6. Gabbo Marvasi

Gabbo Marvasi New Member

Thanks Graham, would it be so nice to hear some oficial annuncement about that rumor from one of the Freefly guys, woudn't it?

But I think they just don't assume this issue as a major problem of their system, so why doing an annuncement?
    They just suggest stuff to "reduce the problem"... but reducing is not solving, once it drifts it stop to be a professional tool...

I really don't understand why users do not do more noise about it ...

by the way on fixed mount the M15 still drifts with the Alpha Wheels.... it really sucks... it could have been such a revolution for camera movement on set...

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Graham: On the MoVI Controller there is indeed a pan trim that you can assign to User 1 (and maybe User 2) rotary control. Using that pan trim you can null out the drift (or "use" it to do a very slow steady pan!)

I don't have the Alpha Wheels, so cannot speak to what you've found.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert