/dist/images/branding/favicon

Do not fly your copter in Deer Trail, Colordo!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Howard Dapp, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Look up "Rodeo Clown" in the dictionary...

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Howard, let's review. Old news, this started months ago, and the source/motive of the reporting company.

4. Howard Dapp

Did I forget or miss this post? What was behind this report?

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The basic facts are true. Deer Trail is a very small little town, population 598. The guy that started this did so on a bit of a lark, national news picked it up, the town clerk started actually selling $25 licenses, she got swamped with orders, the FAA stepped in, the town council decided to vote on it, it was an even split so they were going to have the entire populace, put in on the ballot then that somehow got delayed. Was supposed to be in November. But the latest news

Deer Trail -- population 598 -- was scheduled to vote Tuesday on a measure that would allow its residents to hunt for federal drones and shoot them down, but Mayor Frank Fields said Tuesday that the vote has been postponed while a district court decides whether the ordinance is legal.

All of this started in July of this year.

Another tale of the unique quaintness of Colorado. :cool:

6. Howard Dapp

Hicks gone wild. Thanks for that update.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yep, waiting for the tv show or movie.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Howard an update. The judge ruled that they can have the vote on the ordinance. It will be on or after April 1, 2014 if you can believe it. So the saga continues. Of note is the wording of the ordinance. As best as I can pull together it says something like "The ordinance specifies the kinds of weapons and ammunition residents could use and puts a bounty on recovered parts -- $25 for the fuselage or wing, $100 for a whole drone that has U.S. government markings."

So let's make sure we understand. Joe Bob manages to shoot down a US predator. He then takes it into the town clerk and collects his $25. Next knock on the door is the FBI and since he has already admitted that he, Joe Bob, is a proud son of a gun and shot it down and collected $25 with irrefutable evidence I wonder what will happen to ol Joe Bob.....

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

What's the terminal velocity of shotgun pellets that are fired up into the air and don't make contact with anything until they hit someone on the ground, I wonder? (And please tell me nobody's going to use a hunting rifle as a copter-popper...)

As to your question, Gary....I think Joe Bob is going to receive an invoice in the mail from Uncle "Predator" Sam. The amount will likely be $4,030,000 and change I believe. $16.9 million for the MQ-9 Reaper, so a Predator is a real bargain.

Andy.