/dist/images/branding/favicon

DJI with Graupner question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dave King, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Is anyone using a Wookong or A2 with the graupner PPM signal? I am using a MX20 and have one small question that is baffling me. I have a new install with Wookong and I am testing the copters response controls with the copter weighed down by sand bags with just a little bit of slack so I can see the copters movements. One thing that is not making any sense to me is that for me to get the copter to actually roll left I have to set it up in the software so that Aileron slider goes right and vice versa. I can get the copter to roll left when I stick left and the same with the right roll but only if the Aileron slider in the software is reversed. Meaning that if I stick left with roll the slider goes to the right, and when I stick right with roll the slider goes to the left. Everything else is correct. Nick forward and backward is correct, throttle is correct, and yaw is correct. At first I was thinking I had the motors wired wrong but I am positive they are wired in the order of 6,5,4,3,2,1,8,7 from top to bottom.

So the copter is responding the commands like it should but only if the roll slider is reversed of what you would think. I am using SUMO 8 and have the cable coming out of servo 8 on the receiver.

Anyone have any idea?
    Is anyone using a Wookong or A2 with the graupner PPM signal? I am using a MX20 and have one small question that is baffling me. I have a new install with Wookong and I am testing the copters response controls with the copter weighed down by sand bags with just a little bit of slack so I can see the copters movements. One thing that is not making any sense to me is that for me to get the copter to actually roll left I have to set it up in the software so that Aileron slider goes right and vice versa. I can get the copter to roll left when I stick left and the same with the right roll but only if the Aileron slider in the software is reversed. Meaning that if I stick left with roll the slider goes to the right, and when I stick right with roll the slider goes to the left. Everything else is correct. Nick forward and backward is correct, throttle is correct, and yaw is correct. At first I was thinking I had the motors wired wrong but I am positive they are wired in the order of 6,5,4,3,2,1,8,7 from top to bottom.
    So the copter is responding the commands like it should but only if the roll slider is reversed of what you would think. I am using SUMO 8 and have the cable coming out of servo 8 on the receiver.
    Anyone have any idea?
    Anyone have any idea?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Errrr....Dave....why is the message showing up three times?
    Andy.

3. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I'm using an MX-20 with an A2 on an S900. Not sure exactly what you mean, but I did have to re-map and reverse some channels. You can reverse the channels in the software or on the transmitter? Here is the Video I made on how i set everything up. I used Sumo 16.>

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  4. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hi Gary. I spoke to Dave about this earlier and can help clarify the problem (I did not have an answer for it).

When connected to the assistant and in the TX Calibration when he moves his stick to roll left, the slider in the assistant goes from center to the left. When he moves the stick to roll right, the assistant shows the slider moving from the center to the right. All of his other channels are also confirmed to be set up properly.

When he tests the copter for proper stick response, he moves the stick to roll left, and the left motors increase in speed in order to roll right. When he gives stick input to roll right, the right motors increase for the copter to roll left.

Since the assistant is showing the proper stick movements but the copter is acting in reverse it would make sense that the motors were possibly plugged in to the wrong spot on the FC, but he has checked that and they are all correct.

He has reversed the channels in the transmitter to get the proper response from the copter (which then provides the opposite indication while connected to the assistant). I suggested he put the channel back to normal in the MX20 and reverse the channel in the assistant but that does not solve the issue either.

Any ideas?

Dave King likes this.
  5. Dave King

3 times? What do you mean? I posted it once and see it once.

6. Dave King

Sorry I don't think my issue was described clearly. I can reverse the channel in the radio or simple switch from norm to rev however that doesn't change what I am seeing in the assistant software where it moves from the center to one side of the roll. From my understanding when the slider moves from the center to the left the controller is going to command the copter to roll left and vice versa to the right. I am not seeing this. See the picture to illustrate what I mean.

When I move the stick from center to right, the copter is physically rolling to the left (when up and running in flight) as the slider is actually moving to the right as indicated in this picture
    djiroll2.png

When I move the stick from center to right, the copter is physically rolling to the left (when up and running in flight) as the slider is actually moving to the left in this picture
    djiroll1.png

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Motors wired to the controller incorrectly? Motor rotation/Prop direction correct for the A2? Boom 1 actual aligned with Boom 1 in the A2 schema? Boom numbering clockwise or counterclockwise? MK is clockwise, is A2 clockwise?

8. Dave King

Hey Gary

Yes, yes, and yes. What's weird is that everything else works fine. Throttle up and down, pan left and right, nick back and forward.

9. Dave King

Actually Gary just made me think of something and I figured it out.

I made the assumption that the motors were labeled the same as MK as well. I had the props on correctly and the motors were spinning correctly. Nick forward and backwards was working correctly because motors 1 and 5 are the same.

DJI motors.jpg

10. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Glad you got it sorted. The Hex has a weird numbering too, on the A2, with 1 on the front right and 2 on the front left, and going counter clockwise.

Attached Files:

• hex.JPG
      hex.JPG
      File size:
      24.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

On to the next mystery! :rolleyes:

12. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Glad you sorted out. Once you start flying, please tell us about your experience and about your setup. I'll appreciate that.

13. Dave King

Here's the retest with the motors wired correctly. I noticed in ATI mode the throttle can spool up I think that's because its altitude control is confused. All controls now work like they should.

password: wookong

14. Steve Maller

Looks good, Dave.

15. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Just saw the video...looking ready to go.

16. Dave King

Here's the first flight with the Wookong.

password: wookong

17. Steve Maller

Where's that bottle of champagne? :rolleyes:

18. Dave King

Just an update on my wookong setup. I have put about 60 fights on it and its responded very well. In fact I think its the smoothest most stable rig I have ever built.

Gary McCready likes this.