/dist/images/branding/favicon

DJI Phantom Vision

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Tyler Olson, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

Perhaps this isn't allowed on a free fly forum... but..

Is anyone flying one of these, or do you have a smaller copter in addition to your large hex/octo? Do you find it's useful in situations where a larger copter isn't suitable? Is the footage useable at all?

2. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Hi Tyler, I don't use a Phantom but we have a DJI F450 quad with a GoPro on it that we've used in the past. We generally just use it for practice, etc. but have pulled some usable footage from it for some real estate gigs, etc.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I use an MK Hexa XL just as a flight test bed so that I can check out new versions of MK firmware without putting a Cinestar and gimbal at risk. I very much doubt the footage would be terribly useful if I were to put a camera on it.

I do have a Phantom Vision on order, but that's more for reconnaissance -- just a quick way of getting up in the air, capturing footage to show a producer what the view is like so that we can figure out what shots might be good.

Andy.

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

In very tight or dusty situations we have used an F450 and Droidworxs CX with a GoPro and Zenmuse gimbal and it has been used in drama and prime time tv and cut in great with C300 and 2k footage so thumbs up for that in certain situations and we have had lovely results with no need for post stabilisation.
    Saw a Phantom Vision in the flesh yesterday and looks fun but not sure of camera specs and quality of footage in terms of jello etc....lets see....but really all that I can see is more accidents like the one in New York as our community is not the target audience for the Vision. The fact that you can view a live stream on you iphone means that it makes the cross over to a consumer product (like FCPX) Duck.....many Phantom Visions heading to your skies I would say.

5. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

thanks for the thoughts guys.

6. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

Thinking more about this - the original phantom (without the built in camera) may be a better option as you can swap out the camera/gimbal as needed or as tech. improves. With the phantom vision, you are stuck with the entire system, which looks nice but the gopro video looks a bit better still IMO