/dist/images/branding/favicon

DJI iPad Ground Control Station (a special feature for Andy...)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Marc BRACELET, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Hello Friends, another...great tool from DJI :
    DJI iPad Ground Control Station
    Support iPad Waypoint
    The WooKong-M now supports iPad waypoint, you only need to plug a Bluetooth datalink. Gone are the days with heavy laptop, now you don't need to install maps and drivers, forget about the Windows OS version compatibility problems, nor worry about the Google Earth. Without the long cables, it is easier for you to control the aircraft with your ground station just like playing a game on your iPad. More-over the fashion UI of the iPad Waypoint will be another highlight.

Watch the video in big size screen

Cheers.:)
    Marc.

Morgan Friedland likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Marc:
    Interesting. Might need to add a bit of expo on those controls though....makes the copter sound a bit angry when you feed in directional controls, doesn't it?

The only that might take some getting used to is that you cannot "feel" where the controls are on the iPad (I had the same problem when I tried to touch type on the iPad), so you have to keep looking down at the iPad. There also remains the problem of the accidental touching of the iPad when you didn't mean to....no, no....do what I mean, not what I did!

I'll be interested to hear whether iPilots experience these problems.
    Andy.

3. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Personally i prefer my good old RC. But the concept is interesting....I think not so good for video filming, no sensations to drive from an Flat and cold screen...but i like the concept.

4. Daniel Delaunay

Looks great for on location adjustments and to impress clients with waypoint flights, but IMHO so far nothing beats the good old stick control when looking for a smooth flight. Maybe also a good feature for security vigilance aplications with drones.
    I had a small heli with iPhone control that I could never control properly like I did on sticks. Would never risk doing it with an expensive multirotor for sure.

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I don't know...every time I see a DJI S800 twitch like that, I expect the next thing on the video to be the S800 flipping over and crashing to the ground. I can't imagine for the life of me why somebody would want to add several layers of failure potential to their flying. Why? That said, if it was integrated with an FPV feed, and used the iPad's accelerometer instead of onscreen sticks, then you'd be talking.

#PASS

6. Daniel Delaunay

Well, I have tried using the accelerometers on that small heli as well. Maybe my teenager nephew can do a great job with this modern virtual control interfaces, but I will stick my old fingers to my traditional radio sticks until they get mind control flight systems well developed.