/dist/images/branding/favicon

Direct drive controller

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Pavlos Antoniou, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Indeed Andy, even when balanced well our multis are not always floating smoothly through the air, especially when it's somewhat windy. I'm not being a hard ass at all. I'm actually REALLY excited about the direct drive push. These test are necessary for us to see the full capability of the system while it's evolving during development:) Some of us may end up mounting one on a heli.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Not to be difficult, but that's not at all what I want to see. I'd rather see a piece of hardware that assumes that we as operators are flying a "well-oiled machine". I don't want an idiot-proof device. We're not idiots. :D

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

No difficulties at all:) As I stated in my previous post, "even when balanced well our multis are not always floating smoothly through the air, especially when it's somewhat windy."

Try flying at an altitude of 100 feet or so on a breezy day. I can guarantee none of our multis will be rock solid. Real-world flying conditions are not always perfect. You're hired to shoot on a specific day with gust of 10-15mph, you're not going to tell the client let's try again tomorrow. I've, on many occasions, had props go out of balance during a long day of filming from pollen build up, I assume it's pollen because no grass around and it's a green coating covering the prop's leading edge, alcohol is needed to remove it. Sometimes you may end up chipping a prop while on set, nothing major just a chip on the edge that may cause some vibrations and because of timing and the need to capture a key shot you're forced to make a couple more flights using that chipped prop...your spare props are in your peli back at the staging area so no time to swap. So many real-world scenarios I can think of that I've actually experienced.

I thought the whole idea of wanting direct drive was to achieve perfect stability under any condition..within reason of course and not flying like a mad man. Basically Zenmuse performance when flying in wind but without Zen's occasional roll drift:D This is the performance I expect from direct drive, anything less than that then why switch from what we're currently using?

Mark McGuire likes this.