/dist/images/branding/favicon

Difficulty rotating around subject.

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Frank Manno, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

Hi everyone..

I've been using the Movi M5 for 5 months now.. In Majestic Angle mode.

I find it quite difficult to achieve excellent results in shots where I have to spin or rotate around a subject even when using a wider focal length like 20mm - 24mm.. Even 16mm shots don't look exactly smooth! Looks bumpy and yes I am walking like Groucho Marx. Really. I am shooting with a lighter camera that is balanced properly on all 3 Axis.. Sony A7S and Sony 16-35mm lens.

All my other Movi techniques are great except spinning around a subject. Results are a bit bumpy and not perfectly fluent and smooth.. I do of course understand that the Movi is not a 5 axis gimbal and won't correct side to side and up and down motion.. I am aware of this and walk as smooth as possible when shooting..

Here are my majestic settings..

Pan Smoothing 25
    Pan Window 0
    Tit Smoothing 50
    Tilt Window 5

The question I have is this. Which is a more forgiving pan smoothing setting for situations where you are rotating around the subject.. A higher Pan smoothing setting or a lower one with some pan window throwing in? With my Pan smoothing of 25 I find I don't need any pan window because the gimbal is slow to respond to the pan.. (I think)

I actually thought that my bumpy spinning shots where normal and that's about the best that can be done up until i started watching some online technique videos online.. Such as Alex Buono and Dustin Poteet..

I saw a Dustin Poteet one where he was using an M10 at 35mm and doing perfectly smooth head/shoulder shots of people.. No bumps.

http://dustinpoteet.com/2015/03/29/stabilizer-news-movi-demo-by-alex-buono/ .. How are they achieving these smooth results effortlessly and here I am struggling and my rotating shots still look crap?

Dustin's site here.. Check out the demo clip.. http://dustinpoteet.com

I find that if I'm not at 16mm my shots overall are not great and I'm trying to be able to use the Movi at 35mm and track people smoothly..

Do my Majestic settings especially the Pan settings look usable to you all?

Thanks..

-Frank

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

The settings shouln't affect things that much. Are you able to post up your footage?