/dist/images/branding/favicon

Decimator MD-HX to flip image on director's monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Graham Futerfas, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody's tried the Decimator MD-HX mini converter box in their video chain?

When I'm shooting Handheld with the Movi and my Ready Rig vest, sometimes we want to flip the Movi upside down, inverted, to gain height. Also, sometimes I mount the Movi onto a tripod, slider or jib arm, and the camera is upside down.

Typically, we physically flip the director's monitor upside down when we go inverted, but this is kind of a pain in the butt, so I'm looking for a box that will allow us to flip the image at the push of a button.

The Decimator MD-HX and MD-Cross seem to be able to do this with the Scaler feature, but the concern I have is with Latency\Delay in the video signal. Has anyone tried to incorporate something like this? Is there a significant delay in the video?

Some smaller monitors will flip the image over, but many of the 17" and 24" monitors I like to use don't. I don't want to flip the image in-camera because when I go inverted, I need the on-board Movi monitor to stay inverted so it's right-side up to me.

Thanks,
    -Graham

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

To answer my own question, in case anyone wonders the same thing later, there is no noticeable delay from the Decimator and its scaling function. I got to test one the other day with two monitors and two simultaneous images - one through the Decimator and one straight into a monitor.