/dist/images/branding/favicon

Death flip/I2c fail at 75 feet

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ryan McMaster, May 3, 2014.

1. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Glad we have them.

2. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I've had people ask the "what if" the copter crashes with the blackmagic onboard, and my reply is something like, "it's built like a tank and it would probably be fine." Sorry you had to prove that theory, but also glad at least the camera survived.

Can you tell us the total cost of the damage to get back in the air again? Glad you had insurance.

This is yet another example why these copters should not be flown over crowds or unsuspecting people. Sometimes they just fall out of the sky, and fast!

3. Ryan McMaster

Tim, just show em our video! Shot almost 30 hours of timelapse and 3 hours of video on the camera since the crash and it is working great!

Not 100% sure on the cost yet. Considering a GD frame as well as the Cinestar 500mm boom frame again. Also going for a bit more redundancy

4. Emdy Jones

Emdy Jones New Member

Sounds good you are posting it on here, hope you never have to send it in because they will tell you it's not covered under warranty.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Ryan and Mike

I'm very interested to see if you actually get a check from Transport Risk. They were very eager to take my money and the guy talked a really good game on the phone but when I asked them for something in writing that showed that they would payout a cliam for a drone that was used for commerical purposes (hypethoically of course) they backed away. They then wouldnt even committ if the accident happened while testing and not on a client shoot) They backtracked very quickly. They told me that its not up to them its up to the underwriter and their lawyers. They also backed away from an organization that was trying to acquire insurance for their group as soon as they started asking for clarification.

6. Ryan McMaster

Not too worried. I have my contract here and a good attorney. They were very quick to get me sorted and a check out. Tracking says it will be here today so we will see=). I also have a COA from my local university which makes things a lot easier.

7. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Ryan, I'm in the renewal process with Transport risk and adding another machine to the policy. Did they get you the check?
    tx,m

8. Ryan McMaster

Yup. I would be wary though they just dropped me and searching for new insurance now.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ryan: Just to understand the situation: You claimed, they paid, and then they terminated coverage?
    Did they give a reason for termination?

Andy.

10. Ryan McMaster

Andy,

Yes Claim was submitted day after, Payment sent two days later. Check is in my bank and cleared. Coverage got terminated today.

Sorry, my last reply was from my phone and I did not read the full email they sent. They Terminated because the kopter was a 100% loss on that policy. The COA I have through the university I am associated with was canceled as well since the kopter we had is no longer in existence. The new COA will be associated with the new insurance policy as per "regulations". I will have a new policy as soon as the new octo is built, tested and systems finalized. This is pretty standard with most policies like this.

My MK hex is still 100% covered as it is a separate policy. (sorry.. been a long day of NDVI surveying).

11. Aj White

Aj White Member

This is an issue that I am curious about. I don't want to hide the fact that I am using my octo for commercial purposes and I want coverage. What are my options?

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

There have been numerous discussions on this matter on the forum. If you search for “insurance” you’ll find a lot of opinions. Facts are few and far between, though.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Why bother with facts when opinions are so much cheaper and more plentiful, Steve?

;)
    Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.