/dist/images/branding/favicon

day rate for C8?

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Bryan Harvey, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

How much should one charge a client for a day of work with a C8? Ballpark. I'm referring to broadcast television, commercial type jobs. I am finding it difficult to find an answer to that question. Please consider PM'ing me if you are not comfortable stating it publicly here.
    thanks!

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Good question!

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I can say that broadcast TV clients don't pay much at all or are unwilling to pay what you would typically charge a corporate/commercial client

4. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

I won't be of any help to post here my charges as they are in Brazilian Reais (R$) but I can say that we have a price chart that considers the equipment used (CS6, CS8, MK Hexa), camera used and type of flight (on the field, near people, chasing cars, over water).

5. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

So what are corporate/commercial rates then??? So far I am charging around $2k per day to my TV clients who seem happy to pay it without question, making me think its too low. I was hoping to stay close to industry standard so that I do not undercut other people in this biz, but nobody seems to want to answer the question here. Most gear rental has an industry standard that everyone more or less subscribes to. It is based on the price of the gear and how often it is used and how long its useful life is. The Cinestar 8 and flying it, is hard for me to price because it is such a highly specialized piece of gear that requires specialized skill and knowledge that is more rare than operating a camera on the ground for example. On any given production it might get one day rental versus a week of any other piece of gear.
    Anyway, any guidance one could give would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Bryan

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

An economist might say that in a market where there is price elasticity, then if your clients are happy to pay your rate without question, then, by definition (as you suspect) your prices are too low. Raise them until they complain -- then offer special discounts!
    :)

A.

7. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

Hmm, I guess there's no people on this board that fly for broadcast TV. Surprising.

8. mark Berry

mark Berry New Member

It's only an opinion, I haven't flown for broadcast. There really can't be a rate unless you are considering dry hiring your kit. Ones rate is all about requirements, situation and reputation the same shot in Katmandu and London will cost very different amounts even if the producer is picking all the indirect costs. This example may look like it's only about situation, but a producer is far more likely to take a punt on an inexperienced operator if the know they could re-shoot with different grip another day. None of that really helps you, but I've never offered a rate for film work without asking what the job is first.

9. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Clients come down to 2 categories or at least based on my experience doing film production for 20 years. Client A: Will tell you what they have which translates that their money is tight. Client B: Will ask you what your rate is meaning they usually have money. I've found this to be true 98% of the time. Then there's the other cient who's just fishing.

10. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Bryan, down in San Diego I know of companies that charge $2500 with a 7D, and $2900 with a 5D using an octocopter (not CS8 tho).

11. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

I heard a good rule of thumb once that if no one is complaining about the prices, they are too low.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's why you always say "My normal rates are....." so that if the listener clutches their heart in shock, you can follow up with "...but in this case..."

Andy

13. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

$2800 - $3200 8hrs for pilot, camera operator and assistant depending on camera set up (Epic or Phantom which is a separate rental). It might sound like a lot for a day rate but you have to realize all the extras that go with a set up. Main aerial rig, back up rig, SD/HDMI downlinks, 70amp/2000watt chargers, 2 dozen batteries, back ups of everything (props, motors, downlinks), generator, tables, quickshade, welding station, etc - the list goes on. If you have never done a professional aerial shot for commercial/film. Make a list of what you think you needs and triple it, if something goes wrong on set you have to address it within 5 minutes or your fired!

14. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Two companies in LA have set the day rate for $7000 for full production crew, pilot camera op, PA's. $3200 is really low balling yourself for a day rate.

15. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

I wish I could charge that much but I have many friends who are producers in commercial/film. I primary work in Canada since its legal to fly there via Transport Canada Permits. Producers I have spoken would have a hard time justifying $7000 cost since that is more the a two hours of real Heli or Russian Arm which includes a crew of 4, Russian Arm, Merchandise Benz, Scorpio Head which costs 8 times more than an Arial Rig. Good on them for getting $7000, wonder how many jobs they get for that price - maybe its because you can't get permits or insurance to fly so they have to cover lawyer/insurance somehow :)

16. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Also on a side not, producers/production companies require a break down of cost (pilot, camera, safety, kit rental, etc) because they do not pay overtime on equipment. If you give them a flat rate (all inclusive) they frown upon it.