/dist/images/branding/favicon

curious if Sony Fs7 is already on the M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by alain baars, Nov 23, 2014.

1. alain baars

alain baars Member

I'm thinking of changing from C300 to Sony's FS7, are there people out there that have already set up the FS& on an M10? the camera is quite bulky so I wonder if it will be stable on the M10.

what are you're thoughts?

2. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Ditto that question.

3. alain baars

alain baars Member

FS7 is a bit longer and now as flat at the bottom, so wondering if it will be easy to stabilise it

4. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

It can hold the camera just fine.. Its when you ad a lens things get difficult lol.. Get a M15..

5. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

What lenses are you using?

6. alain baars

alain baars Member

15 mm Carl Zeiss ZE and 24/105 mm EF

I might change that to something else, because I am also looking for a follow focus solution, 15 mm is fine, but 24/105 get longer when zooming so Movi gets front heavy. Either way, I am not working with heavy lenses (unfortunately)

7. Markus Mueller

I've tried to put in the FS7 today. No problem, but it will be difficult to use the FS7 with the RAW or ProRes Extension. The whole construction gets way to long and you will have to use a lot of counterweight in the back and a very light lens to get it working.
    If you don't need these options - you'll be fine.
    The tubes of the M15 should be way longer.
    I slowly realize that I invested in a product which works best with a red epic ( not very popular in Europe ) or dslrs. My fault :)

8. Markus Mueller

What I forgot- I mounted it on the m15.

9. Derek Cooper

So are you comments about mounting it on the M10 or the M15? *confused* LOL Sorry.

10. Markus Mueller

Hi Derek - sorry for the confusion. I did the test on a M15. And on the M15 it will be impossible to mount the FS7 with the RAW extension unit. So in the end it will be also not possible on the M10.

Best Markus

11. Derek Cooper

The extension not fitting doesn't surprised me, actually. Looking at the photos of that camera leads me to believe it will be too long. Thanks for confirming!

Without the extension, will it fit comfortably on the M10? It is certainly more than enough from a weight stand-point.

12. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hey Derek,

We just had a great shoot with the M10 and FS7 using Nikon Glass (on the heavier side of things). The camera is naturally front heavy so we had to add some counter weight for balance purposes. We were running a Heden Carat and Teradek as well. Worked like a charm and the results came out great.

13. Derek Cooper

Nice. And no clearance issues at the rear of the cam? That's the part that concerns me. Full cage, or just the bottom bracket per original M10?

14. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

I'm using FS7 and EF 24-105 and speed booster. I added counterweight on the rear of camera. Clearance is tight but FS7 has clever HDMI port so it doesn't matter.
    When I used more heavy lens, It was front heavy of course. But I tried turn on M10 and it works fine.
    I don't have full cage kit.

In my opinion, freely have to sell long arm kit. It will help many M10 users such like a FS7 user and it will keep value of M10. And it gonna be sales point of M10 than other gimbal. Maybe many user want to use matbox. So long arm is needed. It must be when M10 was released or must have upgraded soon. Why they don't do such a easy work? Especially if I think about original price $15K.
    But they want to sell M15. So I know they don't do it. Even they said that they are working for long arm kit and will be released soon. It was the story maybe 1 year ago. They made prototype long arm for Alexa M and they made good movie. Why they don't release it as they promised.
    Such a unfair company.

Don't buy M15. M10 is enough for FS7 if you don't use matbox.