/dist/images/branding/favicon

CS8 with 2-axis and Radians Maiden Flight

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Steve Maller, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I feel compelled to thank everybody every time I reach a new milestone in my aerial adventures, so here I am again.

It’s Christmas day 2012, and I was faced with a few hours before the movie theater and Chinese restaurants open (we’re Jewish, after all). I headed over to the local middle school to test my newly-completed Cinestar Radian-stabilized 2-axis camera gimbal. I managed to get in one flight with my GoPro HD Hero3 before it started to rain again (sigh). I can’t wait to get my real cameras mounted on this thing. The first couple scenes are with the Radians turned off, then I turned them on. I placed the camera so that the copter frame was visible to provide a reference point. In real use, I’ll use a narrower lens so you won’t see the frame.

So, a heart-felt thank you to all the folks here (particularly my tree-fearing friend Andy), to the awesome staff at Quadrocopter, and to Tabb and his folks at FreeFly. My excitement level is at an all-time high, and hopefully my next flights will be in the Sonoran Desert in and around Tucson, where we're headed in a few days for a family holiday.

2. Steve Maller

I should add that I literally dropped the defaults settings from the software into the Radians, as it was well past midnight last night when I finally got the green lights on the Radians, and even the dog was losing patience with me.

And I don't intend on flying with the GoPro on the gimbal, but I need to figure out how to set the cameras on the gimbal mounting plate, as it seems my Sony CX760's tripod screw wants to be right above the crossbar, which is a very snug fit. Off to the hardware store (again).

Also, I have every intention of documenting my setup, as I learned a lot, including how easy it is to make custom servo wires, which is good because I measured a few of them wrong so I have to do them over again. ;)

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

So much for sunny California, Steve. Solid rain here all day.
    I wish we could get FPV downlinked video at the same quality as the GP3.

I'm glad you've not caught arborophobia from me.

Keep props up, gear down for 2013....and watch out for them thar sneaky eucalytpus obliqua and sequoia sempervirens.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Good work Steve!

5. Zachary Shields

Zachary Shields New Member

Hi Steve,

I wondering if you might share some advice on how you set up your Radians with your Cinestar 2 axis mount. Are you using Spektrum Radio? The folks at Quadrocopter tell me it's quite difficult to set everything with the 2 axis if you're using Spektrum stuff. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Zachary

6. Steve Maller

Hi Zachary. Unfortunately, I am using the Graupner mx20 and GR24 radios, so I don't think my wiring instructions will be of any use.

7. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Interesting. I am using Spektrum for both pilot and camera without any difficulty (3 axis mount). I would be interested to know what QC is telling you is difficult. A servo cable from the FC to the tilt Radian?
    What specific advice are you looking for? ( We are here to help! )