/dist/images/branding/favicon

cs8 ice 50 too hot

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Jordi Cristofol, May 29, 2013.

1. Jordi Cristofol

Hello guys.... Ive just mount a Cs8 with 500mm booms, Axi 2826 , graupner 13x8 ,ice 50 2x6s 5000 and wkm. When i back home and download the ice log, i ve seen that the temp on the esc's are too high. the motors are cold. the esc's says that the max power are 8 amps, then i don't think that i must to change the escs to ice70 ( this is the answer from castle support). the timing on the programed esc's are 14mhz, may be this the problem? this make increase the temp?. Now i want buy xoar 14x5 or 15x5, but i don't find in europe( i'm from spain sorry for my poor english). The cs8 flyes perfectly with the wkm, but i'm very worried with the esc's temp.Thanks guys.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you send over the Castle log file? I'd be happy to review it for you. And a bit more data. Total flight weight and outside temps would be helpful.

3. Jordi Cristofol

Hi Gary, the outside temps was 18 celsius degrees, the weight 5,850 kg and the flight time 8 minutes aprox. Here the logs. Thank You.i cant attach thee.csv log how can i send you?

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

What were the temps you were seeing?

Josh

5. Jordi Cristofol

inthe motors 4 and 8 almost 80 degrees, and the others over 75 º... i thinkits too hot, isn´t?

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jordi I looked at your logs and agree that the temps seem to be way to high. When I look at mine, both with original QC motors and then with my heavy lift 4S motors i see that the temps were never much over 50C and avg for a series of flights was 34.3C.

Josh if you see this can you email me a log file from your 6S setup for comparison or post a screen shot?

Here's Jordi's situation
    Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 1.43.37 PM.png

Jordi Cristofol likes this.
  7. Josh Lambeth

I need to download all the info from my ESCs and clear the memory so i can look again. (Such a long process... I hate doing it! HA!)

Josh

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Just pull what you have in Motor 1.

9. Jordi Cristofol

Hi Guys, any idea?,i just had received de 3 axis guimbal and i'm afraid that with more weight more temperature......any solution.... thank you

10. Josh Lambeth

I'm hoping to fly today. Ill let you know what I find out.

Josh

11. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Its possible that the lift coefficient for those props are not ideal. @Gary can chime in, doesn't 13.8 props negate the whole point of having a 500mm setup? Its possible that the L/D curve is not ideal for the RPM's of the motor. If the lift coefficient is too small you need to ramp up the motors to get the equivalent lift. While the motors ramp up the drag increases as velocity increases (its more complicated than this), now you need more torque from the motors to make increases in rotational velocity. This translates to more current required. Looking at the VI curves it looks like the average power required is 1100 watts which is normal in what you would expect for lift on a standard CS setup with MK and the APC props.

I would be curious to compare the VI curves for the other birds, it is possible with bigger more efficient props, that the average current is lower which means the motors are being more efficient with the prop combination.

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

You sure wouldn't require 500mm booms. As to prop size I have seen other posts that with 6S folks run smaller props but it all depends on the overall combination of prop, motor, battery.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jodi you said you have Axi 2826 but which model? Also specific battery you are using with its C rating.

14. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I was looking at the AXI 2826, it looks like they have several flavors of that line. The closest thing I could find to an equivalent motor that can be used for Multi-rotor is the AXI 2826/12 Gold Line It is only rated for up to a 5S battery It is a 760KV motor where the specs say that max efficiency for current is 15-25A. It's specs show that it is rated for 3-5S batteries.

SpecificationNo. of cells10 - 18
    3 - 5 Li-PolyRPM/V760 RMP/VMax.efficiency
    84%Max. efficiency current15 - 25 A
    (>78%)No load current / 10 V1,3 A
    Current capacity37 A/60 s
    Internal Resistance62 mohm
    Dimensions (diameter. x lenght)35x54 mmShaft
    diameter5 mmWeight with cables181 g

It could be inefficient motors and prop combinations with the 6S batteries causing the overheat. Assunming of course this is the correct model. The other ones that have ability to handle 6S or higher do not look very efficient at all and would probably require a higher current output.

15. Jordi Cristofol

Thanks Guys i begin to see the light at the end of the tunel....jjj. My motors have no mark and no name. the spanish seller finally says that my motors are "equivalents" to axi 2826. Now they says that my motor really is t-motor MT-2826 kv760. Now,, taking your post i think, with this combination, the better thing i can do, is upgrade the props to 14x5 or 15x5, i will need less torque and consequently less instant power and less temperature?.

Gary, my batts are 2x zippy 6s 5000 30C.

Jordi

16. Josh Lambeth

Interesting read on the that.

I am heading out to fly now. By the time I get in the air the ambient temp outside should be around 90*F so we will see how hot it runs. I just cleared all the memory from all the motor-controllers. Ill report back this afternoon.

Josh

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jordi I just ran your setup through ecalc and while it isn't always dead accurate it is a good starting point for performance comparison. I used your 13x8, then a 15x5 and then dropped to dual 4S with the 15x5s. You can see all of the warnings and even dropping down in voltage the ESC's still come up with a warning.

Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 9.34.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 9.34.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 9.36.58 AM.png

The way I try to gauge the accuracy of ecalc is by comparing the hover time and throttle percentage to what I am actually seeing when I fly. If your current setup is giving you about 9 minutes of flight time and your throttle is at about around 17% then my thought is that you have way to much motor for the load. Or you the motors you have may not be what you have been told thus all of the strange values above.

But what is confusing is that your amps are running about 5 amps which doesn't come close to alignment with what ecalc is showing.

So a few more questions for you. What is your approximate throttle setting at hover? Can you send closeup photos of the motors specifically showing the sides and then showing the windings through the top.

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

FYI I had to drop to 11x5 props (don't even know if that exists) in eclac before I got the warnings to go away.

19. Jordi Cristofol

Ok now i'm not at home as soon as i stay at home i will do.

Jordi

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jodi a suggestion. If you just purchasesd the copter perhaps you should have a discussion with the dealer about the system and components. Just doesn't seem like the combination of parts is working together. Be careful simply changing props without getting the real data on the motors.