/dist/images/branding/favicon

Crunchy motor noise - update...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

I changed the bearings, washer and lock ring (purchased the recommended parts from McMaster and Boca Bearings) and that FLIPPIN crunching noise is still there! I ran a bench test on the BL's for 10 min at 1/4 throttle and don't see a significant difference in temps...motor in question is on boom 8. I gave it a thorough visual and blew it out with pressurized air before re-assembling it (it was clean when I took it apart). I checked everywhere on the boom and landing gear for a potential culprit (loose screw) and found nothing.
    Is that engine junk or is that just the noise it makes and I'll have to live with it. My worst fear is a failure and possibly hurting someone.
    Any thoughts...same experiences? I'm stumped.
    Thanks!

Original post and video: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/crunchy-motor-noise.838/#post-10629

Attached Files:

• BLs.JPG
      BLs.JPG
      File size:
      136.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If the motor was involved in a bad landing with a prop strike there is a chance that the motor shaft is bent.

Something you might try is to take the motor off of the arm, but keep the CS mounting plate on it. Mount it in a vice or type of hold down device and run it up. If the noise goes away it is in the frame. Still there, would suspect bent shaft.

3. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

I did flip it a few weeks ago, not hard, it just bounced and flipped over (in the grass) during a rough landing. That very well could be the problem. I'll check it out. Thanks.

4. Travis Buchmann

Travis Buchmann New Member

Do you have the part numbers for the bearings? I have two motors benched that need a set.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member