/dist/images/branding/favicon

Critical Problem with #4 motor stopping when Gimble turned on in flight

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Shane Latham, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Shane Latham

Shane Latham New Member

Hey Jim,

Oh I don't take it as criticism at all. I had to learn to solder for this build and these were some of the first solders I had to do according to the instructions on the DVD. I plan on redoing them for sure as I got much better throughout the build. My only concern was would this cause the problems I was describing.

I talked to Quadrocopter today and I think they came up with a valid cause to my issue. When I built the copter I followed Andy's instructions to the T including binding of the MX-20 however since I didn't have a DVD for the gimble receiver and it came pre-bound I did not bind it manually just left it as it came. They think that there is something out of sync and suggested I rebind both transmitters to the receivers. This makes sense since the only time I'm having the issue is after turn on the transmitters for the first flight. After that I only change batteries but the transmitters stay on until I pack up. So I am going to try this for tomorrow's test flights.

In addition to that I am planning on cleaning up my early solder points as it won't hurt to make sure I have a good solid solder.

I'll update to let you know how it goes or if I'm still having the problem.

Thank you all very much for all your help. I'm glad this community is here to help!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Shane from a safety standpoint and also the way the data card in the Graupner records flights ( you did enable the data logging in the primary TX) you may want to consider turning off the TX between flights.

3. Shane Latham

Shane Latham New Member

Gary,

Yeah I'm thinking that as well. This is all a learning process for me but I'll get there :)

I haven't set the graupner to record flight data but I saw your post on how to do it and I will do that tonight before my next flight.

Thank you Gary

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Shane look at the arrow in red below. It's little hang nail stuff like this (or even smaller) that can be easily overlooked and short between two connections that can cause issues like this. It is so easy for tiny little strands of copper or solder to get on a board and cause issues. I have one of these magnifying glasses http://www.techni-tool.com/284IN2005 that help me see the smallest particles on a board that can be causing problems. It also is great for seeing hairline cracks. I would remove the board, take a soft bristle tooth brush and some isophrol alcohol and clean it up real good. With your problem you know the problem has to be something like in the one isolated part of the circuit board. But if you do pull the board it would be a good idea to clean the whole board.

pdb2.jpg

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Gary

Out of curosity, why would an operator record the flight data on the TX when you have the GPX file? Is it redudancy for data? IS there data you can record that the GPX file doesn't show?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave when it flies out of sight and you want the last known GPS coordinates the GPX file isn't going to help you. Lots of good info on the Graupner file. Never need it until something bad happens. Also helps in incident diagnostics.

Dave King likes this.
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave King likes this.
  8. Shane Latham

Shane Latham New Member

Hey everyone. Just wanted to first say thank you for all your help in trying to figure out this mess and second to tell you I fixed the issue and to let you know what it was so others can avoid this.

So the issue was 100% the fact that when I was putting together my 3 axes gimble and noticed my Graupner MX-12 was already bound I just left it bound and never did it again. I would highly recommend binding all your transmitters to its receivers no matter if they come bound or not. I rebound both copter and gimble and that eliminated the problem 100% and she flies great now.

Now I will go back and clean up some of my solder points for good measures. Thanks again everyone.