/dist/images/branding/favicon

Crazy accident that can happen to anyone

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Pavel Houda, May 24, 2019.

1. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

IMG_1605.JPG
    I was putting the MCR into a bag, when a cloth partition caught under the MODE trigger and damaged the switch underneath. If you look carefully, the trigger hangs in the air, nothing retains it under the handle, so it can pull quite a bit out.

I was hoping that I can have it fixed quickly or replaced fast. Bryan at the Customer Service was trying to help me, however, he mentioned that by the description of what happened, it would most likely not be covered by warranty.I felt (and still feel, that it is a poor design, but I was assured that I am the only one with such issue, so the design is ok.

I had three options, one of which was to send my MCR in and if determined that it is a case of abuse, I would have to wait up to six weeks and possibly pay for the repair around $130. Alternately to accommodate my schedule, I could send in $130 and receive reconditioned replacement. The $130 could be returned if warranty repair were applicable, but I was told, that by my description, it probably wouldn't be.

I really don't think that placing the MCR into a camera bag shouldn't break it. I also had a mental hangup in paying half the price of the MCR (with shipping) to fix what I consider a design weakness. For goodness sake I can get another gimbal for less than that.

So I decided on my fourth option. I opened the MCR, took it apart and replaced the microswitch worth about 10 cents myself. As I explored the repair, I found something about the design. It minimizes the number if parts, and the actual RECORD and MODE buttons are made of single piece of plastic, with some thinned out areas, so that the buttons can be actuated independently. It is a nice design, unfortunately the way the MODE switch is mounted on a flex-strip and adhesive tape holds it against the switch half of the enclosure. There is no provision to catch the lower portion of the MODE plastic button under the enclosure, so it basically hangs in the air.

Unfortunately, my bag got caught under the button and damaged the original switch.

All is well now, but to prevent this from happening again, I put a narrow strip of gaffer tape over the button.

I would like to mention here, that Bryan was really trying to help me and that we simply have a disagreement in what I consider a design flaw and what he doesn't.
    I thought I would share this episode, and show a photo of my preventive measure for those who maybe interested.

#1 Pavel Houda, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I just wanted to mention that I couldn't find an exact replacement switch, but the little 6mmx6mm microswitch from amazon has nicer tactile feel than the original.Everything is working perfectly, but no doubt the warranty is null and void forever. Oh well.....

3. Mike Watson

Mike Watson New Member

Do you have a link to the switch you bought? I had this exact thing happen to me as well.

4. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I found it on Amazon as
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XT3FLVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This one I had to shorten a little, it is 6mm tall. Basically 6x6 with two center leads. Solder those in the same place as the old switch, which of course you have to desolder out (whatever is left).
    They have 5mm tall Screenshot 2019-06-10 15.14.19.png version in this kit: https://www.amazon.com/DaFuRui-250p...=B07KGR7L9M&psc=1&refRID=1YJ8PWBEVY07F4SFGTHM
    This one is 5mm tall. I am VERY happy with the fix, like the click.
    The original switch is soldered to flex strip over a small board, that is held to the front shell with a little double sticky foam. I took it off because I didn't want to mark the shell with the soldering iron. I couldn't fish the soldered on switch though the hole in the shell, so I soldered it when it was through the shell, but before I double sticked it on. Had to rig a little holder in the air, that also served as a heat sync. I have pretty fancy soldering station good for surface mount, with interchangeable tips, so I kept the heat low.
    It took a little thought, but it wasn't really hard. I was overly cautious not to damage or mark anything.

Any electronics technician should be able to do it for you for a lunch.

#4 Pavel Houda, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

#5 Pavel Houda, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  6. Mike Watson

Mike Watson New Member

Thank you! I dont remember it being bumped or anything, and the trigger just stopped working one day. I’ll probably replace the switch like you did. Did you actually disassemble the Movi or did you just lift the switch and do it from there? And seriously, it’s on flex tape???

7. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Hi Mike, if the switch isn't damaged, you may have different problem, e.g. bad solder joint, damaged flexible circuit, bad IC, etc. The only way to get to the switch is by taking the shell apart and lifting the trigger half (8 screws total, including the four holding the orange 1/4-20 socket for tripod). You must separate the two half-shells, then remove the plastic double button (one part) at the top of the handle. You can then see the Trigger and Mode switches. Of course remove the batteries and cover first. It is easy to damage the flexible PCB. You cannot get to the switches without removing the plastic button part, which in turn requires separating the trigger half of the shell.

Maybe I didn't express myself properly. There is a flexible PCB instead if wires, connecting the firm PCBs together, usually with a surface mount connector at one end. It is a common way to connect circuits in better electronic assemblies. Sometimes surface mount devices such as resistors, caps and switches are sprinkled around.

8. Mike Watson

Mike Watson New Member

Do you have any ‘after’ pictures of the new switch installed?

9. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Sorry, no I didn’t take any.

10. Mike Watson

Mike Watson New Member

Thanks for the help. I replaced the button successfully. But man, the click drives me nuts!

I contacted Freefly as well. They won’t sell me the board (or just the button) to replace it with original parts. It’s out of warranty, so their suggestions was to send it in and pay for their repair. Bummer customer support, for sure.

11. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I am glad that it fixed your problem. Too bad you don’t like the click. I actually prefer it, tactile feedback. Lot of people (including myself) actually don’t like the mushy engagement, specially on the trigger switch. Besides being not very ergonomic for large hand, I like to have the trigger to engage immediately as I press, for me it is sometimes frustrating to hunt for the right angle.

There is a FCC filing on the internet showing some internal details and of course the manufacturer. You maybe able to contact them and purchase some parts from them. Of course they are in China.
    https://fccid.io/2AQIO-MOVICR/Test-Report/Test-Report-3976994
    https://fccid.io/2AQIO-MOVICR/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3976987

Anyway, at least you have a functioning MCR without $150 tag. Yeah, they come across little greedy, specially since you can buy new gimbal for that price. I bet you that their actual cost of a new one from China is less than that. Oh well...

#11 Pavel Houda, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  12. Mike Watson

Mike Watson New Member

Update: Freefly’s support has upped their game! They contacted me and said they’d like to replace the Movi as a warranty return! I was blown away by their responses and eagerness to make this right. This is what customer service is all about! They really went above and beyond what they were supposed to do.

I am now a forever customer of Freefly. Thanks guys!