/dist/images/branding/favicon

Couple of problems with the M10, I need your help.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Veve Borimov, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

Hi everyone!

I've been playing with the M10 for a few weeks now (most of the time with a C300 mounted on it) and all was going well. Then I started mounting the 5D MKIII and I have a few problems which didn't appear before.

1st : Would anyone know what could be the reason to my STIFFNESS settings being really low ? I can't get any values above 40. Pan , Roll and Tilt. None of them would go higher than 40 without vibrating! With the C300 (if my memory serves me well) I was able to go around 70
    2nd : When I tune stiffness (with a 5D MKIII) all around at about 50 – 60, all 3 motors are stable. But then the tilt goes crazy only when the top bar is parallel to hand grip bar. Any ideas on what the cause might be?
    3rd : Where can I access the GPS location information? It says on the website the M10 can record the GPS position/movement for the VFX team. Unfortunately I'm unable to find the location of that info.

Thank you for your help in advance!

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

1st: The stiffness will generally correspond to the weight of the camera. If the 5D3 weighs less, it makes sense that it will tune at lower values. This is normal (and in fact the whole point of tuning to begin with)

2nd: The idea is to tune it as high as possible without having this kind of thing happen. If it does happen, and you otherwise have good CG balance, then the value is tuned too high.

3rd: GPS info in not currently user accessible. This is one of those forth-coming features.

Ivailo Gucci likes this.
  3. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

Excellent! Thank you very much Austin! It does make sens.

And for the GPS that's what I thought, just wanted confirmation!

Thanks again!

Austin Glass likes this.
  4. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Ivailo,
    when I started playing with the 5D3 and the MoVI, I had pan stiffness of around 30. I didn´t take too much time to balance back then, I just wanted to give it a try. Currently I have a pretty well balanced system and pan stiffness around 90 (don´t remember the rest, but it´s way below). So I think balancing does make a huge difference. Also: try to use different mounting points on the camera plate - that too might make a difference.
    Just my 2 cents.

Ivailo Gucci likes this.
  5. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

Well I'm confident in saying that my system is balanced extremely well. When the M10 is off, I can twist my 5D in any angle possible and it will stay there!

Also you reminded me about asking about the difference in numbers for stiffness. Am I doing it the right way; I gradually bring up each value together ( 10 for pan then 10 for tilt then 10 for roll and so on until it starts vibrating).

OR Should I bring them up as high as I can individually before moving onto another? (pan til it vibrates, then tilt til it vibrates then roll til it vibrates)

I hope I am clear enough in what I have in mind!

6. Wolfgang Armin

I can´t tell you how it´s done correct, only how I do it ;). I start with pan, bring it as high up as possible, then tilt, then roll. In the end I lowered pan a little bit. I think that´s how it´s described in either the manual or the tutorial videos.
    I also need to say that my first calibration was done on my macbook pro, the second on a windows netbook - but I guess that can´t make any difference, can it?

Ivailo Gucci likes this.
  7. Austin Glass

Your first one is closer to the way that Freefly says to do it. In the training class this month, Sam said the values shouldn't be extremely different than one another. I don't think he said exactly what the range is, but I think that if your lowest value is more than 25 points lower than your highest value, then it's not optimal.

Ivailo Gucci likes this.
  8. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

I think I got used to my way of setting the stiffness after watching the tutorial videos. Not sure tho. Maybe it was when Sam was here. Can't remember. I'll give both options a try and see how it will affect my values.

Thank you both for your help and fast replies, really appreciate it!

Cheers!

9. Wolfgang Armin

Austin, that´s interesting. I just doublechecked - I have 91/45/15. Do you have an idea on what could be "not optimal" with these kind of settings?

10. Austin Glass

My guess would be a decrease in the performance of stabilization… if perhaps your motors aren't tuned properly you could have a "rogue" axis subtly over- or under-correcting operator movements. My guess is that the issue may not be obvious.

I was getting used to tuning values much like what you have, but was told at the training session that they optimally should be grouped closer together. That's about as much as I know.

11. Wolfgang Armin

Thanks, Austin - I´ll try to get them closer together - very interesting stuff!

12. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

That's interesting indeed ... getting the tilt values up seems to be the challenge especially for smaller cameras, I was getting values in the teens for the pocket cam, and low 20's with the D800 ...

So Austin, is it supposed to be 25 points difference across all three axis, or just tilt to roll with 25 difference .... and roll to pan 25 difference?

Cheers

Chris

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tilt generally lowest, roll in the middle and pan the highest value. More mass/weight all of the numbers will increase.

14. Austin Glass

It was suggested to me that all three should be "close." I think when I was told that, my values were 110/70/25 (or something like that).

But it does make sense to me that tilt would be lower than roll, and roll lower than pan. Honestly, when I'm balancing my t2i, I have trouble getting tilt above 10. With the D600 and moderate lens, I think it likes to be around 35.

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Austin I heard of one person that installed weights in order to a GH3 with small lens to get the weight up to a reasonable number.

16. Austin Glass

That's an interesting approach. Before I started weighting it down, I would probably want to experiment with wedging. I haven't done any of that yet, but next time I get to sit down and experiment, that's at the top of my list.

17. Wolfgang Armin

Gary, I tried that, adding redrock micro dslr baseplate and acessory plate to my 5D3 setup. The added weight was 500g, but nothing changed. Of course I rebalanced the system. I thought maybe it was the lifted CG of the whole system that kept the stiffness at the same numbers.

18. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

H there
    I have been using shims or wedges to help get the values much higher before oscillation starts, it was something Sam showed us at a training session, and it enabled us to double the value of the motor stiffness with many of the camera packages. Give it a go, Im currently using them with a red epic and getting motor settings around 170-140 on all axis.
    Hope it helps.

Ivailo Gucci likes this.
  19. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

OK, I'm intrigued, and have a knowledge deficiency ... how are the shims/wedges used?

20. Wolfgang Armin

Thanks Mark - I too would be really interested.
    Any chance that we get a tutorial video from freefly in this regard? Or perhaps a training session ;-). PRETTY PLEASE