/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting To Heavy Lift CS8 - BUILD THREAD

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

They are 300mf if I remember correctly.

The yaw issue could be from the I2c converter... more testing is needed though.

Josh

2. Josh Lambeth

Correction they are 330mf caps.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Josh. 330 microFarads they'll be. ;)

Andy.

4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

As far as the yaw issue goes... are you running the FC alone or with the Navi as well. Even with the Navi plugged in and disabled it seems to affect the characteristics. I run mine a lot without the Navi connected and it flys totally different, or at least with less yaw drifting which seems random from day to day.

5. Josh Lambeth

I got the Yaw issue sorted out almost completely. I increased the Yaw "P" Gyro setting which seemed to help it out a bit. I ran out of daylight to continue to tweak it but will continue to play with it tomorrow.

My 6S batteries arrived today! I am going to be testing those tomorrow. Rather then hacking the FC up more I will be running a BEC from the battery to the FC to drop the voltage down. Im looking into what the full voltage range is on the MK FC. Anyone have any idea?

Josh

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Minimum voltage for the Recom is 6.5v. (Roughly speaking one diode drop above the output voltage -- roughly speaking diode forward drop is 1.4v -- the voltage drop through a diode that's conducting).

Edit: I think the general rule is that for any voltage regulator, you need an input voltage that is greater than or equal to 1.5 volts above the output voltage. That's for step-down DC/DC converters. There are some that are step up or down and that doesn't apply.

Note that for 1 Amp, you really don't need a BEC -- just a Traco or Recom would be fine. E.g. one that brings the LiPo down to 12v would be just fine.

Andy.

BirdsEyeProd likes this.
  7. Josh Lambeth

So... I feel like an idiot... :(

My flight times will be better my next time around... Currently I have been getting roughly 15 minutes of flying time with dual 8000mAh 5s batteries... I just realized that my charger was set on LiIo instead of LiPo!!!! :oops: When I created the new memory setting I didn't realize it was set on that so all my batteries were only going to 4.1V per cell instead of 4.2V. Wow I feel like an idiot and I am really glad that is the only difference and it didn't ruin the batteries! Just thought I would throw that out there! MAKE SURE YOUR CHARGER IS SET CORRECTLY!

Steve Maller likes this.
  8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh did you make any changes to the I2C? Saw a posting elsewhere to change the refresh rate to 500mhz and the pulse to 1060-1860. My I2C is in the mail so don't know where these are set or what the defaults are.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hey Gary: Did you see that Conversation I started on this forum with you about wanting to get your bad batteries for testing purposes, please?
    Thanks
    Andy.

10. Josh Lambeth

Gary,
    I have not made any changes. I will be looking at what it is set to this week but so far the copter flies great! It is very very close to how it flew using the MK BLs. I have my first shoot with it tomorrow and will see how it does in the real world. :)

P.s. I did my first flight today using the 6s 5000mAh batteries... the thing is an absolute beast! First test was with a total of 23 lbs flying weight. With the 5s batteries tested previously the copter barely got off the ground. Today it took off and was hovering at just under 50% throttle. Picked it up without an issue. This was a 11lbs payload. So I decided to add another 5lbs and it and it still flew it without an issue. Ill post a short video for you. Total flying weight was 28lbs.

Josh

TFCM likes this.
  11. Josh Lambeth

Here is a video of the copter flying with it's first "HEAVY" load.

28lbs (12.7kg) total flying weight. Copter weighs 12.5lbs (5.6kg) which means it had a payload of 15.5lbs (7.1kg). Im pretty sure it would take more... but I didn't have anything else to add to the crate... Ill do another test soon.

Throttle was about 60% to hover at that weight. As you can see from the video it still climbs pretty well too. That was about 90% throttle for the fast climb towards the end of the video.

I am going to download the specs from the flight here shortly so I can see what kind of amps/temps the ESCs were seeing.

Josh

12. Morgan Friedland

Very impressive. Nice work!

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh, those motors are workin' aren't they....

In the early days of flying pilots referred to their aircraft as a "crate." It looks like you're actually flying one.... <evil grin>

Andy.

14. Josh Lambeth

You can't go wrong with a crate, a couple reams of paper, and a few bungie cords!

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, the crate seems to make it seem so....innocent....but, man, it sounds like it's a bunch of very upset hornets....

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  16. Josh Lambeth

Yes! I was amazed at how different it sounded with the 6s batteries! The motors are screaming! But they are screaming for more I think! ;)

Josh

17. Josh Lambeth

Looks like the ESCs stopped recording during the middle of the heavy lift flight due to them running out of space... I will have to remember to dump them every so often... (This will get slightly annoying since I have to do 8 of them one at a time...) BUT from what it did record the highest amp's it reached was 12 with a max ESC temp of 45*C! Not bad!

Josh

18. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Very good Josh! Sounds like you have it all sorted. I can only imagine how she sounds when fully loaded!

19. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

A good big machine that carries the heavy and makes noise, that is all that I love it.
    A jumbo, I think you are now happy with your motors and ESC(s) josh...;)

20. Josh Lambeth

I am very very happy with the copter! Fly's very well! Especially since it's using the I2C-->PWM converter!

Josh