/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Aleksandar Pejovic

Aleksandar Pejovic New Member

Here you have some photos, in one of them you can see the direct adaption to the cinestar roll without having to change the shaft.

I´ve been building and rebuilding many gimbals and parts since my posted video, will not adapt any more parts but build them directly.

You can see also a motor comparison size between the 4008 and 5208 and also a roll system I was testing (the one with the square plates) but that one has proven not to be stable as if you only rely on motors bearings you´ll get structural problems and vibrations.

Hope it helps you

Attached Files:

2. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Thanks Aleksandar, what carbon fiber sheet thickness you used, 3mm ?

Gustavo.

3. Ardian Putra

Ardian Putra New Member

Thanks aleksandar, that helps me alot :)

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

The last piece of my puzzel just arrived... just working on the mounting brackets now. :D

[​IMG]

Josh

5. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Adrian,

Here is my Brushless mount. As you can see I have only converted the Roll. I´m waiting for some machined carbon parts during the week for the Tilt and Roll. After that it will look a bit more "not so homemade" :)

Cheers

Attached Files:

Chakradhar Raju likes this.
  6. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Is that for the Pan?

7. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Nice... well you are going to pee your pants with joy when you see the footage and then soon after you'll try to figure who you can sell your Radians to before they become obsolete. :D

8. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Is that the Martinez board because I don't see a USB socket or is it the IMU?

Jochen Braune likes this.
  9. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Radians will be obsolete in less than 6 months. I see from other forums that this catching on big.

10. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yup. Its the new Pan board for the AlexMos board! Should work great with the motors I'm trying out. I'm keeping those under wraps though for now. :)

Josh

11. kjetil tønnesen

were do you get the panboard josh?

Chakradhar Raju likes this.
  12. Aleksandar Pejovic

Aleksandar Pejovic New Member

Radians ARE obsolete NOW... it´s hard to admit that specially for people that like me have bought them recently, but that´s the reality.

For many years I had to place my copter, stabilize it and do the shot, flying smoothly, and having to have the unit "fit" by balancing EVERYTHING many ours adjusting the flight electronics etc etc,,,and specially hoping before each work that wind conditions will be optimal as those were extremely noticeable in the final video.

Now everything is different, you can fly quicker without so much smoothness because after only a few flights you realize that no matter how shaky the craft is what the cameraman is receivng trough the vide rx is a beautyfull stabile image.

13. Brad McGiveron

Yes mine were sitting gathering dust not too long after the new year, but it took some time to get enough work done on larger motors and power on a prototype so that they are now completely obsolete.

14. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Big question. Is there any real difference between the Alex Mos Board and the Martinez board?

15. leventoktay

leventoktay New Member

Hi BİLL,
    i want to ask PID settings your alexmos board. Tılt and Roll. i convert cinestar to brushless gimbal. its good balance. i use http://www.dys.hk/ProductShow.asp?ID=210 this motors. for mark2. i need PID settings. thanks

16. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Hi, to programme the gimbal controller board only I need the cable usb or some interface is needed ?

Gustavo.

17. Brad McGiveron

Not huge differences but the firmware and software is more robust with the Alexmos and it does 3 axis with two boards or with the add on board and one main board. Problem with both is they do about 5 amps which is enough for a DSLR but for anything bigger its not enough. So for a DSLR if that's you goal weight then the Alexmos and some 5208's will get the job done.

18. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Okay so it looks like our newly found beloved brushless gimbal motors will be obsolete soon. I live in Italy and I stopped by the shop today to see if my Martinez board arrived.

While there I met a guy who works in development of multirotor platforms for military applications. He told me that our motors even though a nice step up from servo driven gimbals are not what they are using. They currently use single step motors capable of high torque, very low RPM's (10 to 30) and capable of micro adjustments per millesecond all this encapsulated in a hardware/software solution. Stability he told me is way beyond even the current systems that we're all currently chasing and that when this becomes available for us mere mortals it will rock our world.

I looked at him and said "Mr. you have my attention!" I proceeded to ask him where one could purchase such an item and he laughed at me.

19. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

T
    Thanks for the info. I plan on picking up the Black Magic micro when it comes out in July. The camera does 10bit ProRes 4.2.2 which for most commercial and TV work is fine. Weight wise it will be quiet light so 5208's will be more than sufficient.

20. Brad McGiveron

lots of folks are already messing with steppers but so far the needs we have are mostly met with the brushless motors... or lets say that with the correct winding and 10 amps delivered from a controller, just about anything is about as accurate as needed. For most the 5 amps on the boards released so far publicly, a DSLR is close to max payload
    Your right though, it will be good at the next stage when the extra 2% is squeezed out of motors and technology.