/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting 3-axis to single operator--GRAUPNER

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Adam Paugh, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Here is a short video made by 8 Iron Images on converting the 3-axis gimbal to a single operator setup:

Greetings,
    Adam

Ryan J. Rowe likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice!

Is there any reason why you cannot have the slew control channel be the same on both the MX12 and the MX20, though? (I've not looked up the specifications for the MX12 so apologies in advance if this is a self-evident answer).

Also, why do you have to power off the gimbal to start and stop the motors? It sounds like there must be some form of internal channel conflict and thus it's important to understand what is going on here.

Ryan: if you connect up MK Tool to the MK Boards (with no props on the CS8) can you tell from the Channels display what is going on -- are you not seeing full range of operation on the left-hand stick of the MX-20?

Andy.

3. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

You can but you have to move tilt to a control dial on the MX12 also. My MX12 came set up from QC with tilt on the right stick nick and is nice for the camera operator, but can't be used that way by the pilot since it will conflict with the nick control.
    I have no idea. It's a mystery to me. I called QC and it is a mystery to them as well.
    Thanks Andy, I will try that and let you know what I come up with.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. I could have sworn I'd seen a way to change the sticks to different channels....which is really the issue.

OK. Let me know what you find.
    Andy.

5. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Maybe you can....I just don't know how other than changing Stick modes.
    StickModes.JPG

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Check page 206 of the MX-20 manual -- I don't have the MX-12 manual to hand.
    But it appears you can set the channels as you please. I'm just searching to see whether the same feature exists in the MX-12 transmitter -- which is really the one you want to change!

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Rats. I don't think you have Tx output swap on the MX-12 based on the manual I'm looking at. So this would only work if you had two MX-20s. You could swap the camera operator's MX-20 so the sticks controlled the same channels as non-sticks controlled on the pilot's MX-20.

Sigh. Oh well. It was just an idea.

Andy.

8. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Check page 60 in the MX12 manual. Will that channel swapping procedure work?

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good question. Made all the more tantalizing because the manual I see on line at http://www.rokemodell.de/produkte/gr/gr4722mx-12_gb.pdf only has 48 pages....

Wait a minute -- I found a different version for the MX-12 HOTT. The manual is designate as 33112.mx-12 HoTT.3.en on the top right corner of the front cover.

Page 60 has the title "Fixed-wing mode aircraft," right? Are we on the same page?
    If so, I think the answer still no -- you can swap some of the stick-related channels, but only to other stick-related channels. What you really need to be able to do is, say, right hand stick moving forwards/backwards, assign it to channel, say, 7. I don't think the description of page 60 allows you to do that.

The obvious, but not cheap, answer is to give the camera person their own MX-20. Or use a Spektrum satellite transmitter and receiver for the gimbal. The Radian's give priority to a Spektrum satellite receiver so if the Spektrum transmitter is turned on, then it controls the gimbal. There's discussion of this on this thread.

Andy.

10. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Nope....different page. My physical manual has it on page 60, but the online manual it's on page 74.....I think. Anyhow this is the page I was referring to. Looks like this could work? Maybe? I'll test it when I get a chance unless you think this is the wrong tree for barking.
    MX12_Output_Swapping.JPG

My wife is on the way with wine.....Can't wait! :)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. Now that would be worth a try....you could just use MK Tool and Channels display to verify what was actually going on.
    You've obviously got a very different manual from the ones I've found on-line. Page 74 is just Base Settings on mine.

I'd definitely try barking up that tree!
    But only after a glass of wine or three.... :)

Andy.

12. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Yep...Changing the Servo Output in the Receiver Output of the MX12 to match the MX20 settings worked like a charm. Now all I have to do to switch from single back to dual operator is re-bind MX12. Rather painless compared to the cost of a new Spektrum receiver and transmitter.

:)8 Ryan

13. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Fired up MKTools and noticed that my motor safety switch was set to channel 5, the same channel I am using for turning on the gimble. Changed the motor safety switch to 0(off) and now I can start and stop the motors with the gimble on.

: )8 Ryan
    MotorSafetySwith.JPG

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice forensic work, Ryan!

Andy.

Ryan J. Rowe likes this.